• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aging Bikers and Trikes

Nice post, thanks.

Personnally I would go either to a sidecar rig or a CanAm Spyder before a trike. Nothing wrong with trikes I guess, just not for me. But then a trike is way better than not riding at all!

I'd also rather go with the Spyder or for the cool factor, a sidecar rig. test ode a Goldwing Trike at a demo days, just not my thing. Cornering was very awkward, but maybe you get used to it. I know there will be a huge learning curve with the sidecar as well........

Sidecars are so much fun, I'm surprised they are legal :brad
Never rode a trike...except for when I was very young!

Never rode a trike...except for when I was very young!

I had a neighbor, who was a junk collector, attach is steering wheel to my trike when I was about 9. Great guy, he used to come over and get all my power equipment, including motorbikes, running when I had trouble starting them.

There was a mention of this article on "Weekend Update" on the series premier of Saturday Night Live the past weekend.

As an aging senior I see a scoot in my future when the time comes that kicking my leg doesn't work anymore. Never a trike here...

Not for me!.....I have friends that ride them, mostly due to their wives not trusting their skills? and/or balance. As for older riders?, such as i'll be someday...scooter? , sidecar? but not a Trike. As for the older [new] rider?...{IMO} it just screams wanna-be. And again [opinion] no Spyders either...........jm2c.

I have ridden all three. Trike, sidecar, & Spyder.

I wish the Spyder people would build a motorcycle, because the [machine] is quality,.just in that configuration , not for me.

Was taught by my dad to ride sidecars , and rode 1or2 of his in the past.

Scooters have come a long way, and of course are much lighter? than a motorcycle. But!...they're growing..;)

The big scooters weigh much more than many motorcycles.

True. My friend has both a 650 Burgman and a R1200RT. He said they weigh about the same but the scooter feels lighter because of the low center of gravity.

Spyders with a rider remind me of little kids and Fisher-Price power wheels. Nothing against them, just can't get past the visual. As for trikes, wonder how long before the Florida retirement community is saturated with them running around with a blinker on. Probably be better to be t-boned by a trike than a Buick.

Sidecar, Spyder then a trike. I have seen a nice blue sidecar rig from a K1100RS. That would be the one. And as things go now, I am not far from doing a sidecar....

When I can no longer lean into the curves I live for day to day, close the lid on me cause I hope to done with my "life ride".

I have ridden both a Spyder and a K1200LT Hannigan Trike, and didn't care for either of them, especially the K12LT trike.

If I can't lean, then I'd just as soon be driving some hot little built up covertible sports car. Takes up abotu the same space, carries more stuff, and I can put the top up in the crappy weather, even have a heater!

Spyders are fast and fun

The Spyder surprised me by how fast and stable it was. It cornered as on rails. Of course I prefer a machine that corners as an airplane but if I could not balance, I would be happy on a Spyder.

My knees are getting weaker but instead of triking my Gold Wing, I downsized in weight to a R1200RT. If that becomes too much for my knees, I would downsize further to a 500 or even a 250. I love leaning.

Of course the wild card in all this is the passenger; I ride solo. If my wife still wanted to ride but I could not hold up a comfortable bike, it would be trike time.

If I can't lean, then I'd just as soon be driving some hot little built up covertible sports car. Takes up about the same space, carries more stuff, and I can put the top up in the crappy weather, even have a heater!

That sums it up for me, too.

I'll downsize from my old RT if I feel the need. Trikes strike me as way too expensive, and if you can't lean, what's the point?

Harry

Back