• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Brake failure 2018 RT

jdeluca

I have a 2018 Rt with 12500km on it. I was out Thursday for a 200km ride ,when I got home I could smell something odd. I checked the bike and found the rear rotor was extremely hot. Tried turning the rear wheel and it was binding on the brake caliper. Luckliy I had a service appointment booked for the next day. The service tech noted the following.

brake pedal has almost no travel
rear brake rotor showed signs of over heating
rear brake pads were falling apart along the top edges,surfaces were well worn
cleaned rotor
serviced caliper
replaced rear brake pads n/c
backed off "blow by" adjustment to rear master cylinder
bled rear brake and replaced fluid
cycled abs pump

The rear wheel is now turning freely , I rode it home and all appears normal.

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience.

I have a 2018 Rt with 12500km on it. I was out Thursday for a 200km ride ,when I got home I could smell something odd. I checked the bike and found the rear rotor was extremely hot. Tried turning the rear wheel and it was binding on the brake caliper. Luckliy I had a service appointment booked for the next day. The service tech noted the following.

brake pedal has almost no travel
rear brake rotor showed signs of over heating
rear brake pads were falling apart along the top edges,surfaces were well worn
cleaned rotor
serviced caliper
replaced rear brake pads n/c
backed off "blow by" adjustment to rear master cylinder
bled rear brake and replaced fluid
cycled abs pump

The rear wheel is now turning freely , I rode it home and all appears normal.

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience.

This happens more than you think on rear brakes. When this happens you must bleed out the brakes, even disassemble the brake lines is needed. Why? Because you don’t know if a piece of debris is in the line that has retreated, but will return into the return orifice. The brake fluid must be completely flushed out because it has exceeded its boiling point and has flashed to a vapor. The caliper dust boot and seals must also be replaced because of the temperature of the seal was exceeded when the fluid vapored. Although it may look like you don’t need to replace what I have listed. You have exceeded the temperature limits of all that I have mentioned and reduced the life and reliability of those parts. A knowledgeable tech would have done what I have described

You were lucky. I’ve seen rear brakes actually catch on fire, dump the rider on the street.

Check your foot calibration and the position of your pedal. Make sure your foot is off of the brake pedal when riding, a common mistake that starts the process of overheating and accidentally boils the fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had it happen, but I've seen a lot of overfilled brakes reservoirs (from topping off as the pads wear) as well as dragging brake pads for various reason (one guy glued on a metal backing to them...). I have bought most of my bikes used, so I always check for these things when I get them. Probably doesn't apply to your case though.

Either way, part of my pre-ride check is always to make sure the wheels spin freely and the brakes aren't dragging.

I haven't had it happen, but I've seen a lot of overfilled brakes reservoirs (from topping off as the pads wear) as well as dragging brake pads for various reason (one guy glued on a metal backing to them...). I have bought most of my bikes used, so I always check for these things when I get them. Probably doesn't apply to your case though.

Either way, part of my pre-ride check is always to make sure the wheels spin freely and the brakes aren't dragging.

Oh yes, keeping an air gap in the brake reservoir is very necessary. Especially check after installing new brake pads. On a Used bike purchase you definitely need to make sure the fluid is below the top line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back