• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/24/07 Thanksgiving Special

S

SNC1923

Thanksgiving is here and it's time for families to gather, and you know what happens when families gather. What we need are a few rules. With slight modifications, here they are:

• Photos must be shot this Thanksgiving weekend: Thu, Fri, Sat, or Sun.
  • You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it).
  • No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software).
  • Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
  • Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo. You may post more than one photo, but try to keep it to a handful.
  • Title your photo. Do it.
  • Post your photos in this thread only. Do not start a thread in reply to this assignment. Please post your photos no later than next Wednesday.
  • And, the most important rule: have fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

This week's theme: "Gratitude"

It's Thanksgiving. For what--or for whom--are you grateful? Tell us in a picture.

In last week's theme there arose a discussion about the joys and challenges of photographing people, specifically portraits. So for this week's theme, I invite you to try your hand at a portrait. Now, you don't have to. If you're grateful for that new F800 and want to photograph it, by all means do. But aren't you grateful for your mom? Your brother? Your riding buddy? Give it a whirl if you'd like and teach us something in the process.

Burnzilla directed us to a cool portrait site: http://www.365portraits.com/. Here you will find a multitude of inspiring examples.

Here are a couple of others I quickly culled from a google search:

Photonet

Kodak

Picture Correct

So that's it. Bake your pies and clean your house today, because tomorrow you've got to take pictures.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Oh--BTW--I'm very grateful for these photo assignment threads.

Thanks, Tom. I'm looking forward to seeing some great portraits!

This should be one of the best, and most challenging, weeks so far!

groupwave.gif

In. Dirty camera or not. :bluduh

As I said in the last assignment thread, its really no biggy with the right equipment and little reading up on it. Go for it, its very satisfying once you've done it, you'll wonder why you waited to try it.

RM

knife weilding father

I guess I'll go first on this one. My family thought it was a little strange that I was actually taking photos at a family event; a job usually limited to my mom and aunts. Most of the pictures I took were not that good. I was hurrying myself and neglected to make sure I didn't have half of someone in the background, or too much zoom, or whatever. I kind of like this one, though it's far from perfect. I shut the flash off and got some blur effect as my dad was carving up the turkey for everyone - maybe more than I wanted. He posed for one, but I should have zoomed a LOT more. I didn't like it, though it would be OK cropped. I'm going with the spontaneous one. I think it's a bit "ordinary". I like taking photos of objects and vistas more than people. He would probably be unhappy with me if he knew I was posting it here. :)

As for gratitude, we'll, he's my dad, after all. He takes care of my dog for me when I'm on a riding trip (my mom is involved as well, of course), he helps me remodel my house, he gives good advice, he's responsible for my wrenching knowledge, and he's probably responsible for my warped sense of humor, as well. That, and he's good at carving the turkey. :)

dad-tday.jpg

Thanks for the ride, Mister. . .

Voni
sMiling

Attachments

• VoniA.JPG
    VoniA.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 273
I'm thankfull for many things, but I'll concentrate on two,
one of which family......

this was shot in color then converted to B&W, i played with the color temp in the camera setting before taking it to try and get it to appear like an old photograph since many of the furnishings in our house are antiques (Jeanne's parents antique were dealers for years) and I was curious if it would effect the photograph after conversion to B&W...

Giving Thanks for The Earth's Bounty

family-1-BW.jpg

RM

The second thing I'm most grateful for is that my parents instilled in me a deep and abiding love for and appreciation of nature and wonder of the would in which we live. It has given my no end of joy and even the simplest of visions still fills me with awe such as this.....

Evening sky

sky-1.jpg

I've told my in laws that I plan on using them to try some serious portraitures over the next few days, we'll see how it goes, it should be a real challenge and if any come out if should be gratifying!

RM

Thank Goodness for Salsa

There is nothing like fresh salsa to spice up the Holidays!!

Attachments

• Salsa.JPG
    Salsa.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 194
Except salad extraordinaire by Chef Ara!

Voni
sMiling

Attachments

• VoniC.jpg
    VoniC.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
family portraits...

So I decided to take up the challenge of doing some portraits

what I did and why..

After finding an appropriate area near the bay window that has an south-eastern exposure I took a number of test shots in RAW then read them into PhotoShop Elements 6 in order to determine the proper color temperature since I was using a combination of natural light and bounced flash so that I could get the right color temperature so that the wall would be the proper shade and would help keep the flesh tones right. I then set the Kelvin temperature setting in D80 to match. I used a flash unit attached to a different tripod 3 feet to left of the camera since the natural night was coming in from the right. I aimed the flash at an 80 deg.from horizontal for fill and to minimize shadows from the flash unit.

Below are the results the one of me I converted to black and white using Photoshop's gray-scale conversion

so here they are

RocketMan

portaits_0010-me-web.jpg

RM

Back