• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alternator Whine.......GONE!

rbertalotto

I use the Electric Avenue, Amplirider ( http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html ) in many installations. I've installed dozens of them for myself and friends. This device is a simple headphone amplifier designed for motorcycle use. This unit has three inputs and a headphone output with a remote mounted volume control. At $65 it is an absolute winner and Gary, the Electric Ave owner is a joy to deal with.

But motorcycles, especially heavily "electroniced" new bike have lots of electrical noise whenever you try to add amplifiers and such. For years I've been using simple DC line voltage filters with 92% success. This is usually good enough because with wind noise you can't hear the 8% noise.

But Gary at EA recommended I try a 418-EC1TA11N Cincon DC/DC Converter available through Mouser Electronics ( http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cincon/EC1TA11N/?qs=2aVd7r%2bsIZMxD85/m03LRw== )

I'm hear to tell you that this little device is simply amazing. On my K1200R, which has more electronics than the Space Shuttle, it removed 99.3% of all the alternator and ignition noise.

The beauty of it is that it is about the size of a thumb nail and about 3/16" thick. You need to solder four wires to the device and then just wire it in series with the 12V pos and neg. going to the Amplirider.......Done.

EC1TAN.jpg

Having my GPS, MP3/Phone and Radar Detector all going into a set of ear buds is a wonderful thing. Listen to music, hear GPS commands, hear the phone ring, get messages from the phone and be alerted to speed traps is just great! And all for well under $100!

One last thing. These "filters" are available in various voltage outputs. The unit referenced above will only output 5V, which is fine for the Amplirider as it only needs around 3V for full performance. If you are using another type of amplifier or other electronic device that draws more voltage, you will need to order a higher output device. This is clear on the Mouser web site.

Back