• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Johnson City Day trip

M

Mongo

Thought I would post this here. SRAB thought some might be interested. My whole report is going up on Rounders

Day4 Sometimes you just gotta make due with what ya got.

Saturday I woke up and it was raining and I didn’t care. “Dang where ya goin’ hon? Oh MOA business, I might as well get up and get some breakfast and figure out what I’m doing today then” or I said something like it anyways. Gail and I had fun the night before going out with some MOA folks for dinner at this good BBQ joint. (Rumor has it they might be a vendor at the rally next summer. Yumm!) We had a very good time. My head felt a bit like I had a very good time. It was a slow starting day. About 11ish the rain stopped and I decided to get out and get a ride in down in North Carolina. I only went out for 4 hours or so but I sure did have a bit of an adventure.

One thing annoying about Garmin. He sometimes thinks I have dual sport. I’ve told him time and time again that RoadKings are not good on trails. He don’t listen sometimes. Today would be one of those times. I took a nice route out of town. I thought I would take a circuitous route down towards the middle section of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

All was well until Garmin turned me down a shortcut. Ok not too bad
2980984761_0e8b40dfcc_o.jpg

I turned down the dirt road thinking I would just go down a bit and check out if it was ok. All of a sudden this big dang dog with a thing for bald guys, black bikes, chrome or all of the above ran out and chased me down the road. Now I could manage about 1 mph faster than the dog on this dirt road. It was a bit of a drawn out affair with the outcome in doubt before the dog got bored with me and turned back. The only reason he didn’t catch me was because I had a head start. That wouldn’t be the case if I turned around. I was stuck with this road.
2981841498_5d46e19d57_o.jpg

It turned out to be over 3 miles of wet leaves, puddles, curves and steep incline. I tell you I’m glad it was all uphill. I don’t think I would have made it if I had to brake on it.
2980985157_feb67409f5_o.jpg

Then I received my reward. I came around a bend and….
2988118856_ddea7c0079_b.jpg

At the top it intersected with the Parkway, the sun was back out and I had a nice ride. Unfortunately it was the weekend it was a bit more crowded and a bit hazy.
2981841652_2d0128577f_o.jpg

The day ended back at the hotel with another meal with the MOA folks, a couple more Oktoberfest beers and a warm bed. Tomorrow I’m heading home, where has the time gone?

Last edited:
Nice pics, Kevin. Not sure I would have been as inclined to stop as often as you did while climbing that dirt trail on a road bike. Good going!

Very, very nice!

You have made it very hard to wait!
I dont do GPS but for this, I will do GPS!

When do we get the GPS?

Red

Hi Kevin
It is great to see the pictures and read the story of your ride to the BRP. We both pulled into the motel at the same time. When you got off the bike and shook yourself you looked like a giant dog making all of the water fly. I'm not sure who was wetter. At least I didn't have too many leaks and was mostly dry, except for my HD boots.

It was fun sharing RK stories.

Ben

I marked that tumbling brook on Garmin. I have the GPS coordinates :whistle

please share! one of the roads i am putting on the dual-sport version of my ultimate twisties ride has a stream that looks exactly like your picture. of course, there are lots of those in the area! :ha )

i know where wilson creek valley is, and i'd be curious to see if it's the same road.

ian

Another post pointed out the high accident rate in the Johnson City area. Glad you made it OK. Must be nice to be "Alive"
robert

Hi Kevin
It is great to see the pictures and read the story of your ride to the BRP. We both pulled into the motel at the same time. When you got off the bike and shook yourself you looked like a giant dog making all of the water fly. I'm not sure who was wetter. At least I didn't have too many leaks and was mostly dry, except for my HD boots.

It was fun sharing RK stories.

Ben

Hi Ben! It was great meeting you also. That last ten miles was something. I almost pulled over because the visibility went so bad in that downpour. I was fine under the gear. I have good time tested gear for rain.

please share! one of the roads i am putting on the dual-sport version of my ultimate twisties ride has a stream that looks exactly like your picture. of course, there are lots of those in the area! :ha )

i know where wilson creek valley is, and i'd be curious to see if it's the same road.

ian

I won't be able to post it til I get back to my bike tomorrow night. This is my weekend with my girls.

Another post pointed out the high accident rate in the Johnson City area. Glad you made it OK. Must be nice to be "Alive"
robert

Yeah, you know I read this myself yesterday somewhere else. I was actually thinking when I was riding around Virginia/NC how good I thought the drivers there were. It was very rare to see a lazy driver cross the yellows. They do certainly drive fast though and the roads are challenging. The speed limit will say 50 or more with corners you could never do 50 around. If your not paying attention or distracted by the scenery the roads will bite you!

robert

Always!:nod It's funny how people either "get" that plate or miss it. Some will look at me smile and say great plate. Other's will ask if I've been in an accident or something.
icon_rolleyes.gif

"Heaven isn't a place you go when you die. It's the moments in life when you are truly alive"- me

Back