• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Breakdown - What to do?

Gottago

Where does this road go??
I'm getting ready to do my first solo LD (for me) ride. I was wondering if any of you ladies have broken down during a solo ride and if you had the expertise to fix the problem. What are the basics one should know before venturing out by themselves or is AAA the answer.

It's something I think about all the time, mostly because I ride along on most long distant rides.

Having regular scheduled service from my dealer is a must for me.

Tire plugs and a mini compressor are always in my tool kit. (practice on an old tire at home before leaving.)

Having a small container of prescribed oil in one of my side cases.

Spare low beam headlight.

Duct Tape

Asst. wrenches, screw driver, torx bits and a multi tool.

Cell phone & Spot satellite device

And last but most certainly not least, The Anonymous Book

A lot of riders carry a lot more in tools, but I only carry what I now how to use. Yes, AAA is a good idea. I've been extremely fortunate over the past 4 years of long distance solo riding. Never a breakdown. (knock wood)

Having a few problems on the road while riding solo, I find the Anonymous Book to be a life saver. Such caring people! Always turns the worst into the best! And I treasure the friends I've made along the way!

AND, keep in mind, the forum is also a great place to get advice and help. Turn to us if you need a friend.

And LOVE your solo riding. There's nothing like it!:groovy

Voni
sMiling

J-b kwik

Hello,

The only items I would add to the list is J-B KWIK, and a really
and I mean
REALLY good flashlight - I do not leave home
without these !

Regards,

Lynn

(anxiously awaiting the arrival of The Anonymous Book)

from a guy's point of view... it also depends on how dirty you're willing to get, and how much of your Haynes manual you've memorized.

For local rides, I also carry a few business cards for "m/c pick-'em-up" tow services (and I've passed these along to wrecks or stranded folk); these can often be had at any bike shop you stop into along the way. The MoTow card from the AMA is added to this collection; be advised that BMW is discontinuing the Cross-Country Roadside Assistance service. I also used to have Bros Club, sponsored by EasyRiders magazine, but I don't know if they still exist.

Here's my "formal saved" list of what I'd like to pack in the kit for a road trip; whether it's actually there or not depends on the ride and available space.

L = left saddlebag; R = right saddlebag; T = trunk; US = under seat (R1150RT); GB = glove box

Standard toolkit + any special specific wrenches US
Sockets (specific), ratchet, extension US
BIG tire irons, tube(s); and/or patch kit, valve stem w/core, inflation method US
Fuses, tail & brake light bulbs, wire, jumpers, tie-wraps, JB Quick US & GB
Oil (in zip-lock), funnels (paper disposable); filter & special wrench optional L
Cables ÔÇô clutch, throttle, brake US (w/alt belt)
Flashlights (2 MiniMag) ÔÇô same AA batteries as camera ÔÇô one in glove box, one in toiletries
& Spare batteries GB (and R) - also have one clipped in tent, even when Packed
Spare bungees (AFTER all packing), assorted T
Duct tape, black tape GB and/or US
Rope (ski 15ÔÇÖ melt ends) US (I've been on both ends, on various bikes)
Fuel line - dont carry but should
Harley riders only: Cell phone; hammer N/A
BMW Riders: Anonymous Book GB
Compass, Road Atlas (recent Full size). leather; T
Spare face shield for helmet - donÔÇÖt typically carry
Canteen or bottled beverage (vitamin water 0 cals electrolytes) L
Kickstand foot for dirt GB (need easy access)
Security cable and lock - donÔÇÖt typically carry, itÔÇÖs a BMW ÔÇô used to in R
Pepper spray (keep handy in outer right jacket pocket)
Survival knife or equivalent T
HandiWipes (w/ alcohol, good for first aid too) GB
Disposable gloves for dirty work/repairs US
Lighter for campfires, cigars, etc.

I usually carry enough tools on the road to just about dismantle a bike to the frame, and it's usually in order to help somebody else. I also have (almost) enough knowledge and expertise to help. I also don't know everything and admit it. The idea here is, what do you know and what do you have to do the job available? With the newer bikes, a cell phone, credit card and the Anonymous book can get you out of just about any problem. Tools weigh a lot and take up a lot of space, and hopefully you won't need any of them, but you took them anyway. All sorts of options, your choice.

Maniac - Agreed! I carry them like a voodoo charm, in honor of Murphy's Law. If I have them, I won't need them (fingers crossed; but nothing helps like regular maintenance & detailed inspections). And, sometimes what you carry can be improvised for another duty. I definitely do not carry the full list for local riding (< 500 miles).

Addition: If you have a chain drive, carry two master links, two half links, and a tool to R&R the pieces. I've stopped for a few folks on the shoulder due to that, but couldn't help them.

I usually carry enough tools on the road to just about dismantle a bike to the frame, and it's usually in order to help somebody else. I also have (almost) enough knowledge and expertise to help. I also don't know everything and admit it.
With the newer bikes, a cell phone, credit card and the Anonymous book can get you out of just about any problem.

I also try to carry enough tools to fix most problems. The one reason I don't like the credit card approach is I'd rather not be stuck on the side of a lonely road in the middle of nowhere, in 105F heat, waiting 4 or more hours for a tow, for a simple breakdown, where if I had the tools, I could have fixed it in an hour and been on my way.

Ya never "ride alone"....but you can ride "solo"... WE all need help from time to time :brad:dunno

I have given the information to my wife about how to look things up / post on the net should it be necessary to "bring the rain". I suppose you could do the same.. just arrange your "preflight" with a fellow rider.. and if you need help, you can get it...

Enjoy the fun!

So, there you have it. Opinions from the women and the men of the MOA . See what fits for you. And good luck on your solo ride. All you need to have is the belief that you can do it, the proper maintenance and preparation for a successful ride. It's like walking, one foot in front of the next.
Let us know of your travels in a ride report. I'll be looking for it.

I think Karen would agree with me, after all the preparation and packing, our thoughts are "when do we leave?" There's not much thought about "can we do it?"
:thumb

Enjoy the ride.

Up here we have a dealer that puts on tech days during the winter months (yes, I see you're from California). Older K's, newer K's, oilheads sometimes Airheads, and even a Ladies Day. A little knowledge can be a good thing, or it can be dangerous. It all depends on your point of viewI have no problem sharing what (miniscule) knowledge I have with fellow interested riders, no matter their gender. See if you can find a like-minded individual in your area, if for no other reason than to put your mind at ease.

For me, it usually takes the first hundred or so miles of the trip to calm down and realise the bike is doing fine, so I should stop worying. If something happens, deal with it then. Otherwise, enjoy the ride!

I hear Good Sams is better towing service than AAA. I've talked to both towing services pretty thoroughly. I have never used either one but when I took my last trip I went with Good Sams.

I do carry tools and spare parts with me when traveling solo.... not just solo but anytime I take a trip. You can't predict everything that may happen to where you may not carry everything that you need... and I wouldn't worry about it either. If you are not able to do the work yourself, but someone else maybe able to assist you if you have the tools and/or parts you might need if simple repair. What will happen will happen and you deal with it at that time. I am not sure if you ever wrenched on your bike before or not... I wrench on my bike but you can't fix every single problem alongside the road either. A good towing service... a cell phone to where you can call for assistance but you also may be in a location where you may not have good signal. That has happened to me once. Luckily, A good friend was with me to where I was able to use his phone to call for a tow truck that particular time of my trip. Annoy book has been successful for a lot of people and has helped my friend as well as we have helped folks who have contacted us. There are great folks out there that will be willing to help.

Enjoy the trip and I wouldn't sit there worrying about breaking down as it will only ruin your trip if you constantly think about that.

There have been lots of wonderful suggestions.

Not sure how far your LD trip is... but I would make sure you do a maint such as tires, oil change, and other necessary checks to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the bike before venturing out on your LD trip.

1,000,000m;

Almost there this year, a lot of touring:). Breakdowns a plenty in all these years with some advice! Your personal well being is always first, when broke down, so I always want a lot of water and a shade tree:), or the like. Both of these are first priorities for me to make any kind of decisions forthcoming. Its absolutely amazing what folks will do for you on the road, from offering their homes to just about anything you can imagine. We live in a good world:). Even other countries, folks have given me their absolute best they have to offer, when I needed it and would be insulted if you offer to give them any kindness back in dollars. Amazing stories. I carry a lot of tools and rarely need them, but the knowing they are there is some peace of mind indeed. My most valuable tools have been my air compressor, tire plug kits and maybe my volt meter. Nothin else gets used very often in a million miles. I have had some serious rebuilds out there too, like alternators and the like, on the side of the road with neighborly help, half a world from home. One not mentioned above is UHAUL Trucks are "everywhere" to be had. You can rent one, load up your bike and go home or whereever you like for much less than a tow bill. I did this with a K1200LT that let me down with a FD failure. BMW Roadside actually paid me back for this:). My only UHaul story, but worked out nicely. Randy PS; If you find yourself need'in a part, UPS/FedEX can find you, believe me:).

update

Thanks everyone. Got back from a wonderful trip with no problems. I did take some tools, duck tape, tire plug kit, etc. Had to add air once and took a while to find a gas station that had air. Next time I take the air compressor. The only problem that occurred was a fellow motorcyclist ran out of gas and I was able to come to his rescue. He was surprised when I took off my helmet and all the gray hair came tumbling out. Imagine being rescued by Grandma. ;)

Last edited:
So cool:)

You're a seasoned biker now, with your first trip under your belt:). Keep on rid'in. That air compressor I said above is always a great tool to keep in the bikes saddlebag always. I actually rescued a RVer family in the middle of Nevada, US50 nowhereville. Pulled out my handy air compressor and inflated their spare, which had NO air in it and they had just had a flat. Funny how most never check their spares for air. Happy Trails, Randy

Congrats on your trouble free solo trip.

Rather than a flashlight, I carry a headlamp. It has three settings, bright, brighter and flashing. If you are trying to fix a tire in the dark or near dark, you don't have a hand to hold the flashlight.

Back