• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The more I do, the more problems I create... (more of a rant than anything) 1985 K100

cy7878

On a 1985 K100RS, I know it's 23 years old and rubber pieces and nuts/bolts need refreshing. The bike runs well, besides a high idle that I'm going to leave alone. I replaced the handle bar rubber and ended up stripping the thread on the mount (a set os bought off ebay). Replaced missing bolts on the heat shield and now it rattles like crazy whereas before it didn't make a noise even with missing bolts.

I think I just need to leave well enough alone. Do the services at regular intervals and repair problems instead of creating them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I tend to agree somewhat. I have found that disassembly can sometimes disturb the patina that is, in some cases, keeping things sealed. Still, all those rubber bits are getting really old. So if there are some you know you haven't replaced, you might want to just pre-order them for that inevitable time you have to replace something in the area, and don't want to be waiting a week for a $2 o-ring to arrive. And as Don Eilenberger likes to point out, just having the part on hand may prevent you from ever having to replace it at all.

I had a noisy heat shield because one of the square nut captures had worn through. When I had the heat shield off I gave it a little tweak and now it doesn't vibrate. I never fixed the nut capture. Problem solved.

I like the looks of the heat shield but can't be bothered with the rattles. Mine is standing in the garage.

I have had to redo several jobs before because I'm a bad mechanic that enjoys wrenching. Doing it twice teaches me the same lesson, I just take longer to learn it.

It's the fix until broken syndrome. I'm prone to it too.. even on newer bikes. Figure your bike is old enough to have kids by now and it gets into perspective a bit.. it will need some geriatric care and attention, but it's a good bike waiting to take you on great rides.,

Back