• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chicago locksmith to cut K75 ignition key?

barooo

I have a blank key for my K75 but need a place to get it cut. Chicago BMW doesn't do it and also said they were unable to recommend someone who could.

I'm in the city, but I guess a suburban locksmith would work too...

That would be pretty simple to do. I bet even the local hardware store could do it, all you need is a good key, a blank key, and a key cutting machine.
Gilly

That would be pretty simple to do. I bet even the local hardware store could do it, all you need is a good key, a blank key, and a key cutting machine.
Gilly

The problem is that the BMW keys (and blanks) are made of steel and not brass link most keys you find in the U.S. I have only one locksmith in my area who will cut steel key blanks because the others say it's hard on their equipment. :rolleyes

The local hardware store cut a folding head key for my K100RT. No questions or complaints and only cost $1 US (for the cut).

Same issue in Nashville

The problem is that the BMW keys (and blanks) are made of steel and not brass link most keys you find in the U.S. I have only one locksmith in my area who will cut steel key blanks because the others say it's hard on their equipment. :rolleyes

I only found one old time locksmith that would try it and then only on one old machine in the shop.
Took him two tries to get it right.

I have a blank key for my K75 but need a place to get it cut. Chicago BMW doesn't do it and also said they were unable to recommend someone who could.

I'm in the city, but I guess a suburban locksmith would work too...

i had mine k75 key done in vernon hills,il 60061.

karlock on rt 60 & aspen in vernon hills

847 875 7000

It doesn't need to be difficult with the classic K bikes. It does not need to be a BMW blank.

The K75 takes an Ilco SR61N key blank that any good lock shop will have or can get. Voni went down to the local lock shop the other day and had two spares made for her bike.

If you stop at a lock shop that has Taylor blanks and not Ilco then the K75 takes a Taylor B69K blank.

We have had spares made for our F650s and Oilheads too - The Oilhead uses an Ilco X140 -VL8 blank. I don't have my F650 keys with me but it is also an Ilco blank. Other key makers have equivilent blanks too.

Last edited:
Back