• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1800cc cruiser in the works for 2020?

The Big 'R'

Back in the mid 80's you would here about the coming Big R.. I'll believe it when I see it. Doubting Barry.:dunno:scratch

BMW Motorrad has a new prototype Big Boxer engine which they have been showing off in a couple of customs they commissioned. The first to appear in a BMW PressClub release was an effort by a Japanese custom shop. This broke back in December of 2018.

The Japanese motorcycle customizer CUSTOM WORKS ZON presents a spectacular custom bike based around the prototype of a new BMW Motorrad boxer engine.https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...-prototype-of-a-new-bmw-motorrad-boxer-engine
06.12.2018Press Release
Last weekend, a sensational custom bike – the “Departed” – saw its premiere at this year’s Hot Rod Custom Show in Yokohama, Japan.

Now in April a Birdcage framed custom by Revival Cycles has been featured by BMW PressClub and stating a serial production 2020 cruiser using the big boxer is in the works for 2020.

“The Revival Birdcage”: Revival Cycles presents unique custom bike.https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...”:-revival-cycles-presents-unique-custom-bike
15.04.2019Press Release
Second custom bike built around the prototype of a new type of BMW Motorrad boxer engine revealed. Series production motorcycle for the Cruiser Segment will be presented in 2020.

Spy shots have surfaced of a Bagger style R powered BMW.

BMW touring motorcycle spied; could be revealed soonhttps://www.bikewale.com/news/39442-bmw-touring-motorcycle-spied-could-be-revealed-soon.html
bmw motorcycles BikeWale / 12h
i-RmhgGQk-S.png

BMW touring motorcycle spied; could be revealed soon BikeWale As can be seen in the images, the motorcycle boasts of a bagger styling featuring a large fairing on the front accompanied by a tall windscreen.

I saw both the project bikes last weekend at the Handbuilt Show in ATX.

Being able to poke around and touch parts was a surprise, none of my pictures do any service. Truly a large motor. The exposed pushrod tubes really look beefy..and a bit of a nice touch.

There are electrical and fueling systems and a plumbed clutch slave that all appears to be ready to roll...at least start. Looked like Hexhead parts on those systems. That was on the ATX built Birdcage, the photos of the Zon look like slide carbs. I need to find my pics, because the Birdcage pics in mikas post are different or the Zon was...back later:wave

Crazy on a Cruiser rumor...must be another James Bond movie in the works:whistle

Last edited:
I saw both the project bikes last weekend at the Handbuilt Show in ATX.

Being able to poke around and touch parts was a surprise, none of my pictures do any service. Truly a large motor. The exposed pushrod tubes really look beefy..and a bit of a nice touch.

There are electrical and fueling systems and a plumbed clutch slave that all appears to be ready to roll...at least start. Looked like Hexhead parts on those systems. That was on the ATX built Birdcage, the photos of the Zon look like slide carbs. I need to find my pics, because the Birdcage pics in mikas post are different or the Zon was...back later:wave

Crazy on a Cruiser rumor...must be another James Bond movie in the works:whistle

Pushrods??? Oh no.

Carburetors? Carburetors??

That engine appears to be sporting traditional carbs, which would pretty much exclude it from meeting EPA specs and being sold in the USA. Oh sure, it could be it has FI cleverly disguised as carbs, ala Triumph, but the pics I’ve seen thus far would not support that idea. We shall see, I guess.

Best,
DG

More Speculation about Big Cruiser - Timo Resch quoted

"Timo Resch, BMW Motorrad’s VP of Sales and Marketing, says we’ll see more of a “direction in a couple of weeks,” which another exec let slide means the Villa d’ Este Bike Show, on the shores of Lake Como, schedjed this year for May 24-26 (and conveniently enough, sponsored by BMW). Even crazier, Timo says there will be a “serial bike” by 2020, which I believe is German for a production model. Say, that’s only nine months from now."

See it here: https://www.motorcycle.com/features/bmws-big-boxer-is-on-the-way.html

That engine appears to be sporting traditional carbs, which would pretty much exclude it from meeting EPA specs and being sold in the USA. Oh sure, it could be it has FI cleverly disguised as carbs, ala Triumph, but the pics I’ve seen thus far would not support that idea. We shall see, I guess.

Best,
DG

That’s a custom bike. A production bike would have FI and cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back