• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Disgruntled New Member...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the forum Hudsonriver.

The BMWMOA and the forum is so much more than a pin.

Stick around for a while and check the place out - it may change your non-reup position.

Keep the shiny side up!

+1

We hope you enjoy your year with us. Come on in, pull up a chair and bring your cup of coffee (or wine, beer, Diet Pepsi... whatever... ) and get to know us.

We'd like to know more about you, too. So - tell us about your bike. :ear

Actually life experiance has taught me that people like that are not fun to be around, they are just constant complainers, and quite frankly I don't need to hear it. So thanks for stopping in and reminding me to appreciate friendliness.

BYE BYE!

An interesting first post and such wonderfully warm welcomes in response.

Sarcasim aside this is not the first member to complain about pins. Normally post go something like ÔÇÿI didnÔÇÖt get my __ year pin and IÔÇÖm pissed.ÔÇÖ Then someone responds with who to contact and the thread dies a justifiable death until the next time a member complains.

IIRC we are coming up on a new logo. Why not use its introduction to change the pin policy.
- eliminate it altogether or
- go with a logo pin for all members and eliminate the __ year pin program.

Just wondering. I am not a big pin fan so it really does not make a bit of difference to me. Besides, I am pissed that I didnÔÇÖt get my __year pin and IÔÇÖm leaving to go to the garage and work on my bike! I wonÔÇÖt be back until the next time I post ÔÇô SO THERE!!!!

Different new member intro.

This has turned into a "Not Your Regular New Member Intro. " thread. I have not seen such a long and "different" new member intro. thread since my brief time on this forum. Not to be mean, but it is kind of fun reading all the varied postings! Sarcastic, sincere or otherwise. I am thankful for the post actually. And I am sincere when I say it gives me an opportunity to assess what is valuable about the MOA, and it sure ain't pins.

Hi Red!

You guys give out pins?

I had no idea!

Now thats got me wanting a pin...:p
Good to see you back Red. I don't have any MOA pins but send me a mailing address and I will send you an old PSIA certification pin if it'll make you feel better!:laugh (Professional Ski Instructors of America). The nicer things about that organization was not the pins either.

You guys give out pins?

More like a thumbtack, really. 5th anniversary is a safety pin, 10th is a cotter pin.

25th is really cool. It's a bowling pin. You can whap newer members with it at rallies.

Good to see you back Red. I don't have any MOA pins but send me a mailing address and I will send you an old PSIA certification pin if it'll make you feel better!:laugh (Professional Ski Instructors of America). The nicer things about that organization was not the pins either.

My best friend in the 70s was a guy by the name of Chris Kessler. Chris skied professionally against the likes of "Spider Savage" (the only name I can remember). Chris died March 31, 1984 while setting off charges while working as a avalaunch gunner to start dangerous avalanches when he was doing his real job of ski patrol at Aspen Highlands ski resort.

Anyways, the long and short of it was that Chris taught me to really ski, carve versus skid. He was a "ski perfessional" but always willing to push his friends to excel at speed. (Check out a very steep run called Kesslers Run at Highland). Chris nick named me "Dale the Rail" cause I would never tuck as much as he wanted me to.

I don't think I deserve a pin...

a BIG welcome to Hudson River; hope you take yer shoes off and stay awhile!

My best friend in the 70s was a guy by the name of Chris Kessler. Chris skied professionally against the likes of "Spider Savage" (the only name I can remember). Chris died March 31, 1984 while setting off charges while working as a avalaunch gunner to start dangerous avalanches when he was doing his real job of ski patrol at Aspen Highlands ski resort.

Anyways, the long and short of it was that Chris taught me to really ski, carve versus skid. He was a "ski perfessional" but always willing to push his friends to excel at speed. (Check out a very steep run called Kesslers Run at Highland). Chris nick named me "Dale the Rail" cause I would never tuck as much as he wanted me to.

I don't think I deserve a pin...

a BIG welcome to Hudson River; hope you take yer shoes off and stay awhile!
Red, A.K.A (Dale the Rail), you probably deserve more than a pin. Just trying to make a point about "pins." I did not know Chris. I have had friends die in avalanches. Sorry about Chris taken so young. I did work in Colorado at Telluride, Copper and Crested Butte; the last two for Club Med., now defunct in the U.S. I've skied Highlands but the last time was in '83, before Chris's death; I am assuming the run is named after him. And how appropriate. I know you're fom Colorado, as I am to a degree, growing up there in Pueblo and later Canon City. Guess this thread is hijacked,huh? Oh well....

Funny. My first reaction was to say "Cya".
Then I too read all the inviting replies.
I've learned when "pissed" it is better before hitting send to walk away and come back in a few and re-read it.

You can have my pin too... If only I could find it.
Although... I could make you an attractive "button" to wear. :whistle

-Anyway-

Welcome to the MOA.

~ Jim

I'm disgruntled over the fact that we don't get a basic BOA member pin with a new membership. I know the pin schedule starts at the 5 years mark, but i made the mistake of assuming that all members get that initial member pin with the starters package. Its not like they don't make'em, they actually sell them in general merchandise area for $2.00, which is what pisses me off the most. For forty dollars i got myself a decal and had to email to request the anoynmous book. They'll probably waste more than the lousy two bucks on mailing me reminders next year to re-join. Well here's advance notice, don't waste your time or money, i won't be re-joining...:violin

The Hudson River empties into the sea in New York I believe. Large city social norms require that individuals identify with organizations or groups and clearly label themselves in a manner that causes said individual to be instantly recognizable. You, like so many others, have paid the price of membership and feel slighted because "they" allowed your personal conveyance to be readily identified but not your person without paying an additional expense. This is an understandably traumatizing experience for a person that feels safety only in the group setting. I feel your pain. There are many and varied responses to your post which no doubt leaves you experiencing even more trauma because some of the membership are not supporting the "new guy". It is all in good fun. Rule 1: Don't be thin skinned. Rule 2: Don't be thin skinned. Personally, I only purchase clothing that has no exterior label whatsoever, whenever possible. I don't wear BMWMOA patches or pins and neither does my bike. What you will find here are a great bunch of guys and gals that are willing to help almost instantly with virtually any problem short of donating a kidney....and if you're nice you might find a willing donor anyway. Stick around; have fun, and be happy.

Ah but I was at a ski show a few years ago in Boston and a friend found a PSIA (or similar) pin in the parking lot on the way in and put it on his jacket. He got all kinds of swag and special offers at the show because he was an instructor. I'm thinking the MOA pin is not quite so beneficial as that one was. He wears it every year now and it still works like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back