• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2021 R1250RT maint. reset

dant

Im trying to get ahead of my upcoming 6k mi service notification. If its like the initial service notification which, on the TFT display, is HUGE and ANNOYING. Apparently, a solution to the maintenance reset is an OBDLink MX+ module/dongle/bluetooth and the Motoscan app for my cell phone. So I acquired these, got everything connected, used the recomended K52 vehicle code, got connectivity and could read real-time data from the bike. But the maint reset is within the "instrument cluster" category of data and is " unavailable". I sent the Motoscan folks a couple of emails. So far Im just hearing crickets. Im thinking the Motoscan app cannot talk the right protocol to the TFT display at this time. Maybe a future software release?

Anybody had experience with this? Am I missing something?
Thanks

Do you have the Pro version of the app?
I thought I read you need the Pro version to turn off the service reminder.

Surprised that Hexcode does not clear the service reminder on a R1250RS/R/GS with a TFT.
Didn't the TFT start to show up on these bikes in the fall of 2018?

The 2021 display is very different from earlier versions.

TFT is really just a form of LCD screen technology that can be used for many purposes. Referring to a display as TFT tells you nothing about the computer controlling it. Comparing to older tech, a CRT is a display device that could be used for a computer, or a television. I would not expect to use the same test equipment for both of those devices just because they share the same output method.

Hexcode’s application chart (see post#4 above) does a good job of showing the module designations for the TFT controllers used in the various models. Those modules are reported in the GS-911 even if the device offers only limited functionality for that module. So, it’s no surprise that some modules can’t be accessed for various functions, so a quick autoscan yields a pointer to what can/can’t be done. Service indicator reset is one that they probably get enough feedback on, and purchase justification from, that it’s likely at or near the top of the list for a “future release.” For now, the OP’s only recourse is the dealer.
The service reminder shown on the TFT screens is too big to cover with electrical tape, but can be dismissed at each startup using the WW. ;)

Best,
DeVern

The 2021 display is very different from earlier versions.

TFT is really just a form of LCD screen technology that can be used for many purposes. Referring to a display as TFT tells you nothing about the computer controlling it. Comparing to older tech, a CRT is a display device that could be used for a computer, or a television. I would not expect to use the same test equipment for both of those devices just because they share the same output method.

The link in post #4 showed the GS911 would not reset the service reminder on the smaller TFT thats on the RS R and GS.
I'm happy that chart is wrong.

Edit When I look at the chart again for the small TFT if shows Future for service functionality but Yes for reminder.

R1250GS/GSA/RT/R/RS LC ECU information Read/Clear Fault codes Real-time values Service functionality Service Reminders
Engine (XBMSO1) yes yes yes yes
Anti-Lock Brakes (XABS) yes yes yes yes
TFT Instrument Cluster (XKOMBIHI) yes yes yes future yes

Under 10" TFT it shows Future for all the options.

There's a thread somewhere else on that subject.
The short version: Hexcode has the fix in a beta version. You need to write to Hexcode and ask to be added to the beta test group.

I heard a bad story about this: my local BMW shop will charge the full service charge (over 300 bucks) to turn that thing off for a 6,000 mi. check up

I went to a shop in Diego where they did it for 50 bucks... on the 600 miles check up which I did myself.

Things are getting dicie on these shop nowadays.

My local shop is also charging people a percentage of the purchase if you use a credit card. .... cheap bastards

My local shop is also charging people a percentage of the purchase if you use a credit card. .... cheap bastards
That used to be against the credit card company's agreement with retailers. Might want to ask your card company about that policy.

That used to be against the credit card company's agreement with retailers. Might want to ask your card company about that policy.

Out here it seems to be a popular concept at car dealerships. While it is prohibited for the most part, if it is disclosed at the time of the purchase/agreement, the dealerships grab the extra percentage. IIRC, the fee cannot exceed the actual “handling” percentage.
OM

Up here it's illegal to add an extra charge (except taxes) to the advertised price of a product or a service.
The dealer could however give a discount equivalent to the CC charges if you paid cash. Nobody does for two reasons, handling cash has its own costs unless you operate on the shady side, and why discount someone just because he pays cash? Why not just pocket the difference? :scratch

While i have no problem with a manufacturer installing a service reminder prompt, i do much prefer the simple button push method of acknowledgement. I believe it is wrong for BMW to make it so difficult to reset the reminder that it takes a computer and software program to accomplish what should otherwise be a simple task.

While i have no problem with a manufacturer installing a service reminder prompt, i do much prefer the simple button push method of acknowledgement. I believe it is wrong for BMW to make it so difficult to reset the reminder that it takes a computer and software program to accomplish what should otherwise be a simple task.

What is clear, is that BMW does not case what anyone of us thinks, what they care about is making money

Surprised that Hexcode does not clear the service reminder on a R1250RS/R/GS with a TFT.
Didn't the TFT start to show up on these bikes in the fall of 2018?

The 2014+ R1200RT bikes technically have a TFT display... between the 2 analog gauges for speed and rpm.

The 2021 has a very large TFT only display that is completely different than the prior versions.

HEY! What are you doing working on your own bike?!!!
Not just BMW. Can-Am has their own impossible system called B U D S. :banghead :banghead
OM

Back