• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Your MC Insurance Cost???

I guess I shouldnt complain:
$157 for the year with Progressive on my 02 GSA.

$100 comp Deduct and $250 Collision Decuct
$3000 accessory coverage.
ROadside assist incl!

! went with Markel (BMWMOA endorsed program) and with 25000/50000 liability and 500 deductable for collision and comprehensive, I pay $214/yr. I only have one bike (r1150r)
I do have a clear record and use the MSF, MOA and every discount they can give me. No one else can touch their price.
I even checked Allstate , who insures my car and house, but Markel won!

ILLINOIS must have the lowest liability and uninsured reqmnts. Mine are the same: 25,000/50,000 and prop damage $15,000
Im in a small town 60 mi SW of Chicago

Some of you might want to consider your liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist limits. I have high liability limits so I can have high uninsured/underinsured motorists limits (In Virginia you can't have higher uninsured/underinsured limits than your liability limits). I don't worry about the damage I do to others (I take no passengers) but I do worry about what other people may do to me. If I am seriously injured by a uninsured or underinsured person, I need adequate coverage to cover my loss. The additional coverage is inexpensive. I was an insurance adjuster or manager for over 31 years and saw a lot of seriously injured people who were left high and dry when the guilty party had inadequate coverage and little or no other assets.

Ken

Your all getting a deal!

In Canada it's about $1000 for one bike that we have to drive through snow for at least 2 of the 8 months we get to ride.
That and another $42 will get us a case of beer and after we drink that we don't feel so bad.

Marty
09 R1200RT

Some of you might want to consider your liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist limits. I have high liability limits so I can have high uninsured/underinsured motorists limits (In Virginia you can't have higher uninsured/underinsured limits than your liability limits). I don't worry about the damage I do to others (I take no passengers) but I do worry about what other people may do to me. If I am seriously injured by a uninsured or underinsured person, I need adequate coverage to cover my loss. The additional coverage is inexpensive. I was an insurance adjuster or manager for over 31 years and saw a lot of seriously injured people who were left high and dry when the guilty party had inadequate coverage and little or no other assets.

Ken

Sadly true & to add a thought from my experience with my three sons when they were young and under our coverage-they all three had accidents that were not their fault and in all cases the other driver had no insurance(very common in this area-extremely is the word!) and in one case the guy didn't even have a license and had a previous DUI wherein he had killed someone!In each case the other driver was succesful in making a claim against my insurance based on the cops having written up the accident as a 50/50 at fault thing.It seems that the cops do this to avoid court. Either way I had to go after my own insurance company to avoid loss of my claim free discounts as being a body guy and so forth I was fixing my own cars and my insurance was fixing the other guys! As Ken states we were lucky that there was no injury involved on our side of the situation.

As the original poster I will say that I am in process on saving money$$$$$$$$$ via a PM from a fellow member in KY that buys from the Randolph Scott Agency in Lexington,KY. I was quoted $600+ over the phone from Progressive and now am @ $176 from the SAME company! via the agency above. This is to compare to my current policy of $227 which renews @ $277.
It really pays to shop around. My question now is how/what/why is the one members Progressive @ $75? My current policy includes liability for a rider-my ignorance there as I doubt my wife will sue me? Actually she rarely rides pillion in the first place. We all need to really go over our policy closely and see that we are getting what matters (as Ken says) and not wasting $ on unneeded items.
After a follow up call to the agency I have increased the liability and the policy invoice is coming to me @ $118 yrly! Result: better policy & lower cost. Now , if I could just find cheaper Mexican liability-I have priced all over the web and it is high considering it is liability only and given the fact that the Mexican insurance guy told me almost nobody ever uses it there-as in being tort nuts like in USA.

For accuracy's sake-I was quoted a figure then the invoice came with a mistake(wrong year-2002/is2003& wrong VIN and price went to $142.09 on corrected invoice,still much better than the $277 American Modern is asking for renewal

Last edited:
To follow up on my shopping for MC INS- I am changing to the Progressive policy through the Randolph Scott Ins. Agency in Lexington,KY, having talked to Kent Smith. He saved me big time and can talk in specifics about more than one company. They only write policies in KY. He told me that my former company, American Modern, suffered large losses in their mobile home policies and renters insurance lines(one of their larger areas of coverage) as a result of weather related issues in recent years and raised costs on other lines(in my case MC coverage) thus my renewal rate was much larger & not the result of personal to me issues.
Within KY this guy will provide you with better information/rates than going online or through the toll line to Progressive directly. Give him a try, it saved me a bunch!:thumb

My question now is how/what/why is the one members Progressive @ $75?

Progressive rates differ depending on where you buy it. I bought mine through Progressive Direct on the internet. I have one friend who pays more through a local agent for liablity only than I do for full coverage (both with spotless records). Another friend has another agent and pays more for his coverage also. We have all had it with Progressive for far over 10 years. Some specialty agencies sell Progressive for even more money.

Back