• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wind noise reduction tool

All the tools I tried can do a pretty good job if you're trying to isolate words from wind noise. None of them was even passable at removing wind noise but leaving the engine sound.

There's only so much you can do, wind noise is clipping, and clipping means the data is gone. It's possible to make it better, even much better, but it's a tradeoff, a big one if you want to still hear the engine.

I gave up trying to fix it in post. I just went to a Tascam recorder under the seat and syncing in post. Sounds 1000% better. Here's one I just recently rode with 2 cameras and the Tascam under the seat:

Yesterday was my first try with that tool. If the settings are high, then it renders my voice unintelligible..I’ll keep playing with it. I have a Tascam recorder, but I’ve been trying to keep it simple.
Lots of good assistance here: https://motovlog.com/

Yesterday was my first try with that tool. If the settings are high, then it renders my voice unintelligible..I’ll keep playing with it. I have a Tascam recorder, but I’ve been trying to keep it simple.
Lots of good assistance here: https://motovlog.com/

Oh, I totally agree with the "simple" sentiment. It's a real mental effort to get ready to ride and film. 2 cameras (Insta and dash), + a recorder. It's a lot to get sync'ed up and ready to go (especially since the Insta doesn't do gapless splits, a real miss IMHO and a nightmare if you're trying to sync audio).

I'm getting better/more comfortable with it though, and with that comfort, comes more speed. I just press record on the Tascam and drop it under my seat (with a wind muff on it). Then, when I'm getting ready to leave, I start both cameras, then start the bike. The sound of starting gives me a good sync point, and, for the dash cam (Osmo), because it does gapless recording, that's the only sync point I need.

Then, for the Insta, I generally use the already synced footage from the Osmo to figure out the sync point for the clips from Insta. That's a pain, but without a gapless split...

I'm going to try something on my next ride where I record; same process for the Osmo and Tascam, but for the Insta, I'm going to hook the Tascam up as an external mic. That will let me capture clean audio right into the Insta, and also, because the audio file will be identical, I'm hoping will make it dead simple to sync up after the fact. I haven't tried it yet, but I got all the necessary pieces (Insta mic adapter, some cables) to give it a shot, so hopefully it'll work!

Back