• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's that smell?

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
We have a single detached garage that serves as freezer/laundry/seasonal clothing storage and H's parking.
I finished it out a year maybe two summers ago as it was dark and un- inviting. The PO had put hinged plywood on several open studs and stored home canned products...not a great idea with the TX summer heat. I found a few in a nailed shut section.
Anyways, before the finish out, H left the door open often and have found birds who couldn't find the exit a few days later. A tiny bird sure can funk up a space. Didn't happen last two summers at all.

It's bird swarming season and for the last week I smelled something again:hungover. I pulled stuff away from the wall, looked in every space trying to narrow it down. Wasn't a dead bird smell, thought it was a water leak behind the drywall as it had a moldy smell.It was getting worse daily.

Finally got it down to a corner and moved a shelving unit near the freezer and found the culprit...a 8 oz sealed fish filet that must have jumped out of the freezer:dunno. So glad it was a nice seal-a-meal bag and not just wrapped. Still allows some funk out obviously, but it stayed in place until I slid it into the trash. Even the Blue Heeler steered clear which is unusual.
Neither of us recall moving the basket in the top loading freezer that has the filets...wonder how long that has been under there.:scratch
This morning it's back to normal and I got that smell out of my head...almost.
A side story was when I was a younger father, my bro-in-law and I often stuck fish/ shrimp heads in ziplocks either in the hubcaps of the others wives cars or under the seat of each others non A/C'd trucks. Once those bad boys get warm and the bag busts...you couldn't get near it:laugh:laugh:laugh Good Times:dance
He once stuck a very used diaper in the seat springs of my '67 shortbed in August...thought I was gonna die stuck in Houston traffic. It went on for years...sure miss him...not.

We ran into each other at a funeral a few years back...he kept an eye on me all weekend. Yeah, I'll jack with him again:thumb

I have a buddy in Alaska that had recently filled a freezer in his finished basement with 30 Red and 2 King salmon from the the subsistence fishery at Chitna. Shortly thereafter his wife went to visit her family for a week and my friend failed to keep up with the house cleaning chores. He enlisted the aid of another guy to help him clean the house before the wife returned. The helper was assigned the chore of vacuuming the basement. Unable to find an unused electrical outlet he unplugged the freezer; he did not replace the plug. The error went unnoticed for more than a week, then the wife decided to retrieve some fish to cook. She was greated by an oozing pool of stinking offal (many Alaskans do not gut or otherwise prepare a fish before freezing them). Luckly the freezer retained the terrible mixture. They were able to get it out of the house and to the local dump with the contents still inside. The helper was not a popular guy for quite some time.

We had some friends who bought an earth sheltered A Frame house. One day, cleaning out the cupboard in the garage John noticed there was a loose board. No smell, but when he investigated further he found a whole other room buried behind the house. Wired for electricity and telephone, with tables for holding a crop of illegal stuff. Sometimes it's nice if it's just fish you find.

Voni
sMiling

Reminds me of the movie "Grumpy old men" where one would stick fish under the seat of the others car.

One day a coupe of years back, I got some steaks out of the freezer in my detached garage. To help digging in there, I took a. 16lb turkey put and set it on the garage floor. Mind you, this was June in CA. Since it was so hot, I wasn't doing any work in the garage, so it sat there at least a month. I was starting to smell this funk outside and went in To investigate. Ugh. I had a huge maggot farm!

Took a lot of bleach to get to where I could go back in there.

We lost a few fridges at our coastal home when the power system wasn't up to the task and from a few hurricanes. Never get the seafood smell out.

My mom was never so mad when we left the bait shrimp( had been told to not do this from another disaster ) in her somewhat new fridge/freezer.
Returned about a month later and a smell of uh-oh as my dad rolled the storm door open and we knew what had happened. My older brother looked at me in horror.:eek
We helped roll the fridge downstairs, got on our Honda 90's and hid all weekend at the neighbors

I echoed her verbage many times to friends and family when I owned the place:fight....lost two fridges anyways. Not enough chlorine in the world when it gets in the insulation.

I helped H with putting groceries away and my ONLY task was putting stuff into the chest freezer. I walked out to retrieve one of those loaded up pizzas the deli makes...only to find both sitting on a shelf at eye level...about a week later...don't tell Helen:whistle

WTF is that smell

Freshman year in college, living in the dorm, late 60's in Boston. Strange smells emanating from dorm rooms at any time of the day were not all that unusual ! :)

One guy was such a PIA that nobody wanted to live with him. One day while he was not in the room somebody, of course I have NO IDEA WHO IT WAS, snuck into the room, removed the baseboard heating cover and spread a heavy layer of Limberger cheese over the metal fins. Carefully replaced the heating cover.....and left.

Smelled like somebody died in there for well over a week till the dude finally figured it out. :hungover

Friedle

My garage has a small access door into the wall where a pump for a small fountain on the outside of the wall used to reside. The pump is long gone and the fountain, built out of large stones, had begun to fall apart.
One day I began to smell something in the garage. It took me about three days but I finally narrowed it down to that access door. Upon opening the door I discovered a skunk had crawled in there and died.
Live skunks can smell bad, dead ones are far worst. Used up a few gallons of clorox that week.

When I first saw that movie, I howled thinking of my bro-in-law...PUTZ!

Ya know.......you're finding parallels to characters in a movie about geriatric odd-balls and then disclosing instances of forgetfulness (i.e., the stuffed deli pizza's stored on the garage shelf "over the freezer"). At this rate, you'll hit peak MOA age in three months and be in the home by next spring. You need to slow down on this aging thing..:)

Yeah, kinda worrisome at times to be honest:scratch
Concussions and family history are not my friend.

Freshman year in college, living in the dorm, late 60's in Boston. Strange smells emanating from dorm rooms at any time of the day were not all that unusual ! :)

One guy was such a PIA that nobody wanted to live with him. One day while he was not in the room somebody, of course I have NO IDEA WHO IT WAS, snuck into the room, removed the baseboard heating cover and spread a heavy layer of Limberger cheese over the metal fins. Carefully replaced the heating cover.....and left.

Smelled like somebody died in there for well over a week till the dude finally figured it out. :hungover

Friedle

Limberger cheese on the manifold or on the heater core. Also on the motor of your buddy's bike.

The faster you go the better the JOKE.

Friedle

That reminds me of my college days. :hungover

Back