• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What type of plastic are body panels? 1998 K1200RS (also side cases)

goneregret

Hello, I'm doing some plastic welding on the body panels of my 1998 K1200RS and I'm trying to figure out what type of plastic they are. I have this little set of plastic welding rods from Harbor freight that has (17) Gray PVC Plastic Rods, (17) Green PC PP Rods, and (16) White PC ABS Rods. I'm not sure which is best to use, or if I should look for something else. When I bought the plastic welder from Harbor freight it came with some very flexible welding stock but I don't know what that is at all. Also, what kind of plastic are the side cases?

Thanks for your help!

Here's the link to the ad at HF:
https://www.harborfreight.com/50-piece-plastic-welding-rods-41602.html

Hello, I'm doing some plastic welding on the body panels of my 1998 K1200RS and I'm trying to figure out what type of plastic they are. I have this little set of plastic welding rods from Harbor freight that has (17) Gray PVC Plastic Rods, (17) Green PC PP Rods, and (16) White PC ABS Rods. I'm not sure which is best to use, or if I should look for something else. When I bought the plastic welder from Harbor freight it came with some very flexible welding stock but I don't know what that is at all. Also, what kind of plastic are the side cases?

Thanks for your help!

Here's the link to the ad at HF:
https://www.harborfreight.com/50-piece-plastic-welding-rods-41602.html

All K1200RS fairings are a composite called "PBT+PC".
If you look on the hidden / inside of the fairing you will see these markings: >PBT+PC< with other data like the part number

It is a Polycarbonate and Polyester blend, trade mark XENOY by GE plastics
..OR..
also found from BAYER under their brand name "Makroblend"

K1200RS (1998-2000) Fairing_LEFT-Inside-MARKINGS.jpg

On internet, you can find many articles and videos on how to repair XENOY (PBT+PC) as it is fairly common in automotive world (and motorcycles).

ABOUT the Side-Cases: not 100% sure and I am too far from garage to check right now. Open the cases and check inside for marks. This is a requirement in Germany that all plastic must be identified (for recycling purposes).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your help. I'm looking around on line and can't find any welding rod made of PBT+PC. I find lots of PC but nothing with the PBT composite. Should I just use PC welding rod? I already have PC ABS rods. I used them to repair a crack on this BMW fairing before and it came out much better then the other plastic rods I was randomly trying to use.

I checked the side cases. Interestingly, the inner and outer halves are different material. The outside door of the case is ABS and the inner half of the case is PP. Can I use my PP PC rods on that or should I find plain PP?

Thanks for your help with all this plasticurgy magic!

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm looking around on line and can't find any welding rod made of PBT+PC.

I have bought them from Amazon UK and had them shipped over. I have seen them on eBay UK also.

I checked the side cases. Interestingly, the inner and outer halves are different material. The outside door of the case is ABS and the inner half of the case is PP.

The outside door is ABS because they are often color match painted and PP doesn't paint well.