• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Timing Chain Guide Rail Nut/Bolt Torque Spec

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I've read through the Clymer Manual and a BMW Service Manual, but I cannot locate where the torque spec is for the nut and bolt on the timing chain guide rail. I think it should be easy to find, but I'm coming up short on this. Can someone let me know what the torque spec is?

Thanks in advance

According to RealOEM, the bolt is M8...doesn't give a thread pitch but probably 1mm. It also seems to indicate that the head markings are 8.8 for class of bolt. This page:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/Metric-Recommended-Torque.aspx

suggests that an M8 8.8 grade should be torqued to 30NM which is around 22 ft-lbs.

Snowbum lists some tightening torques for M8 nuts...not sure if that translates to bolts. These nuts aren't for the timing chain but other areas. His numbers for torque is around 17 ft-lbs.

Back