• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2025 Rally : What State - Where At... and Why ?

Black Hills = Tourists. Tourists. Tourists.
RV's. Campers. 5th wheels. You name it.

Be careful of what you wish for; you just might get it.

Joe

Black Hills = Tourists. Tourists. Tourists.
RV's. Campers. 5th wheels. You name it.

Be careful of what you wish for; you just might get it.

Joe
3 years in a row there now, this will be the 4th year in that area in the summer. Just stay out of area the week before the Sturgis rally and perhaps a few days after it closes down. Any place worth exploring on a motor is going to have tourist traffic during the summer months.

By chance I ended up riding through Spearfish Canyon on my ride to the MOA Great Falls rally in 2021. I didn't know about that route; it was a great unexpected find and when I went through the road had very little traffic.

There is a very nice city campground in Spearfish; I ended up camping right next to the creek and beside another rider on his way to the Rally. Really nice showers there too! It is not on the main drag so you might have to ask about it. I stopped for gas as I was passing through Spearfish and the lady working at the gas station told me about the campground. I lucked out again.

Beautiful part of the country, but probably not enough accommodations to host a BMW rally in that area.

By chance I ended up riding through Spearfish Canyon on my ride to the MOA Great Falls rally in 2021. I didn't know about that route; it was a great unexpected find and when I went through the road had very little traffic.

There is a very nice city campground in Spearfish; I ended up camping right next to the creek and beside another rider on his way to the Rally. Really nice showers there too! It is not on the main drag so you might have to ask about it. I stopped for gas as I was passing through Spearfish and the lady working at the gas station told me about the campground. I lucked out again.

Beautiful part of the country, but probably not enough accommodations to host a BMW rally in that area.
One of my favorite places to stay in the US is Spearfish Canyon Lodge đź‘Ť

Love that place and of course the road thru the canyon

They hosted the national rally in 1990 at the fairgrounds in Rapid City. At the time the attendance was around 4100, but that was 1990. I'm sure the fairgrounds could handle a much larger crowd.

Somehow they manage to accommodate 500,000+ riders at the Sturgis Rally every year, I'm guessing one campground will be able to handle the ~5,000 the MOA is likely to host. JSNS
The nearby University's Housing alone provides 300 Rooms for a popular motorcycle event held annually.
DS5 surely must have ridden into Spearfish from the SSW and exited the area WNW.
Maybe not familiar or realizing his proximity to one of our Nations largest “areas” of tourism and National Parks!
Including the accompanying thousands of beds for rent.
The Black Hills… A motorcycle riders heaven!

Last edited:
The Spearfish/Sturgis area would make a great rally site. The city of Sturgis has a Rally and Events Department that focuses on hosting the Sturgis Rally and several other events. They know how to take care of events and the people who attend. It is also amidst some absolutely fantastic riding.

The Spearfish/Sturgis area would make a great rally site. The city of Sturgis has a Rally and Events Department that focuses on hosting the Sturgis Rally and several other events. They know how to take care of events and the people who attend. It is also amidst some absolutely fantastic riding.
If its decided sturgis or the surrounding area, I'm all in. It's a fantastic area to ride and I'll likely be there next summer as I will be this year and several years past now.

The nearby University's Housing alone provides 300 Rooms for a popular motorcycle event held annually.
DS5 surely must have ridden into Spearfish from the SSW and exited the area WNW.
Maybe not familiar or realizing his proximity to one of our Nations largest “areas” of tourism and National Parks!
Including the accompanying thousands of beds for rent.
The Black Hills… A motorcycle riders heaven!
Wow, I had no idea that Spearfish was that big! I didn't even know that it had a University.

You were absolutely right about my route. I had meandered into town on 14A (Spearfish Canyon Highway), tanked up with gas, found the city campground and left early the next morning on I-90 heading west for the Grand Tetons. The small bit of Spearfish that I saw did not lead me to believe that it was that big. I will have to file that fact away for future reference.

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea that Spearfish was that big! I didn't even know that it had a University.
Well, it’s really not that big. All the state’s4yr colleges became “universities” years ago when that was deemed advantageous for securing money and students. BHSU doesoffer some coursework through SDSU, however. BHSU is around 3600 students. And Spearfish is a little over 12k in population, and a very nice place to vacation.

best,
DeVern

I was about 100 miles off the longest solo traveler in 2019. I might get it in central if I can get to the rally. If I could get to Oregon I'd have it easily!

You never know.
I arrived at Salt Lake National check in with
10,001 miles. Didn’t make the top two!
Got to remember, some folks “live” off the bike with travels January until the
Rally.

You never know.
I arrived at Salt Lake National check in with
10,001 miles. Didn’t make the top two!
Got to remember, some folks “live” off the bike with travels January until the
Rally.
But historically there are two awards: One for long distance from home to the rally and one for long distance grand tour on the way to the rally.

You are correct sir!
And I see that skibum69 would in fact be a terrific candidate for the “farther distance from home” rider.
He’s literally hanging on the edge of the continent there in NF.
My efforts on the “touring” award were... literally in my back yard in comparison.

Last edited:
When (date) is the Spring of 24'... month of April Board Meeting?
Occasionally near that timeframe the following years Rally location & dates are revealed.

Last edited:
Count me in for anywhere in western South Dakota. It's far enough from me to be a good ride, yet close enough that I could recruit 2-3 other riders to their first MOA Rally.

Count me in for anywhere in western South Dakota. It's far enough from me to be a good ride, yet close enough that I could recruit 2-3 other riders to their first MOA Rally.
When you mention new "recruits"... that gets the attention of both the BOD and the paid management of our club!
It's all about attendance numbers AND the venue rent agreement IMO.
Wasn't always that way a few years back, but now, a lot of it's about the money.
Especially since we don't control the Beer Garden operations/cash any longer.

When (date) is the Spring of 24'... month of April Board Meeting?
Occasionally near that timeframe the following years Rally location & dates are revealed.
I know it’s soon.
And I’ll guess we’ll be in for a surprise… if it’s a Return To Lebanon Tennessee!
Excellent facilities & fantastic attendance level a few years back.
Plus, cheap rent equals more revenue.
MOA seems to continue having events there annually. Huh.

When you mention new "recruits"... that gets the attention of both the BOD and the paid management of our club!
It's all about attendance numbers AND the venue rent agreement IMO.
Wasn't always that way a few years back, but now, a lot of it's about the money.
Especially since we don't control the Beer Garden operations/cash any longer.
I'm gently pushing a friend to join the MOA. He's been riding for decades, but new to the BMW kool-aid. I requested a complimentary copy of the ON magazine to be sent to him, but he hasn't received it yet. I'll request another copy sent to him.

Back