• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spain and the Pyrenees

Raketa60

I'm looking for guidance from anyone who has toured Spain, particularly northern Spain. Here's where I'm at. My wife has a school-related trip to Barcelona in late March early April 2010. I am considering joining her at the end of that, renting a bike and doing a self-guided tour with her for a week. I found Iberian Moto Tours in Barcelona that also just rents bikes and has R12RT's and GS's available. I just bought the new edition of John Hermann's Motorcycle Journeys and learned a bit there about the Pyrenees. Since we will be in Barcelona, I thought heading north and west towards Andorra, Bielsa, along the border of southern France, into the Pyrenees, then heading south and looping back to Barcelona would be an awesome trip. I plan to stay in Paradors or B&B's along the way. But I'm not sure of the weather conditions that time of year and if that would be a smart route??? Especially with the challenge of the mountain twisties.
I'm not looking to do an iron butt ride either, as I will be 2up with my wife , so something that would give us 4-6 hours riding a day, with some combination of mountain roads and cruisers, and maybe a 1/2 day rest somewhere. Sooo does anyone know average temps in the Pyrenees early April? Conditions? Rainy? Snow? Snow melt? Should I even consider going into the Pyrenees? If I do, any "must see" places? OR would I be better off to head south from Barcelona where I know the weather will be better but the ride not as interesting? Any suggestions on good rides in Spain other than the Pyrenees? Thanks!!!

This was taken in June, near La Seu d'Urgell.

P6061309smed.jpg

No snow on the road, happily.

I didn't go to Andorra because I've heard there's a lot of traffic there, due to the country's being a tax haven.

I stayed in several of the Paradores and they were at least good, three star hotels, usually in good or great settings. Not particularly cheap, however.

If you head south, you could visit the Alhambra in Granada and make a turn around the original Sierra Nevada. It will likely be a lot warmer there by April.

AZ Beemers MOA #89 spent fourteen days touring Pyrenees and Andorra in May of 2008!

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=105188&st=0&#entry430716 Raketa60: We AZ Beemers did spend a night in Andorra, but like DarrylRi said, the traffic congestion was heavy.

My fellow AZ Beemers buddy Uri Schumm and I toured both the Pyrenees and Andalucia for the last week of March and the first week of April back in Year 2006.

The weather conditions were exactly just like DarrylRI shows in his nice pictures.

There was snow on the mountain peaks; but, not a bit of snow on the roadways.

If you're bored, you can look through my 4 week trip around Spain and Portugal in 2002. I picked up my own bike, that I had shipped over to Heidelberg with Stefan Knopf. I spent a couple days with my friend Sascha, then went across France to Barcelona, travelled through the eastern Pyrennees a bit, then met my friend Steve in Madrid. We went around southern Spain and Portugal for two weeks, then back to Madrid so he could take off. I went back to the north coast and around the western Pyrennees.

Thanks Darryl. Good advice and love the pictures. I see you (or someone in your group) rode a GS or RS for at least part of the trip. I own an RT and am very comfortable on it. With 2up seems to be a better choice. I have seen posts here on riding a GS vs. RT in the mountains, with a larger group seeming to favor the GS for maneuverability. Any opinion on that having been there?

Thanks Darryl. Good advice and love the pictures. I see you (or someone in your group) rode a GS or RS for at least part of the trip. I own an RT and am very comfortable on it. With 2up seems to be a better choice. I have seen posts here on riding a GS vs. RT in the mountains, with a larger group seeming to favor the GS for maneuverability. Any opinion on that having been there?

I had an RT when I lived in Switzerland and now have a GSA in CA. I actually think the GSA is a better road bike BUT the RT would be my pick for two up touring. My opinion is to rent what your comfortable with and keep your options open regarding where you ride. Believe me, it's all good. Regarding Andorra, I went through there and there are lots of tour buses but the roads are nice. A great ride if you get near the French border on the Med. is out to Cadaques which is where Salvadore Dali kept his summer home.

Back