• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sena with BMW ÔÇÖ11 RT radio

B

birdmanbmw

I had a difficult time figuring out how to connect my Sena SMH10 headsets to the factory BMW 1200RT radio. Anyway, I thought I’d list my setup – I assume there will be others that try to do the same thing --and I hope this will help or at least give you hope! Also, this is not for you guys that know all about this stuff, it’s more for us rookies.

We bought a pair of Senas (got a great deal on them) and mounted them on my Shoei Multitech and my wife’s no name full face. Easy to pair them up and easy to install. My wife only makes about one long bike trip per year with me, so the plan is that she has com with me and she can listen to her iPod stuff.
smh10_1.jpg

Next was to pair Sena to my iPhone 4. Also easy-- and way cool-- with Voice Command. BTW, I do take calls will riding; I ride to get away from all that. But I can access my music playlists and podcasts, all with simple voice command to my boom mic.

So far- so good. But I ran into trouble when I tried to get the XM radio to pair up to the Sena. I followed the manual as best I could, but never could make anything work. Gave up.

Decided to try it again but I couldn’t find the radio manual, so I dug up an older online book and the directions seemed more clear! Anyway, after a few tries and a few issues (turning off all the other Bluetooth junk in the house- car, phones, Mac mouse, etc) it worked. At least it does what I want- any broadcast from the radio goes to my helmet (not the wife’s), switches to the iPhone with a blip of the Sena button, and intercom with the wife with another touch of the Sena button.

I don’t listen to much music from the XM radio, mostly news and talk. Which is a good thing, because the sound quality from the radio is poor. I made some tweaks- like putting bass all the way to +6- and that helped. But the sound is great from the iPhone. Overall- A1 and I’m finally happy that I bought the radio package.

You do need a BMW adapter cable w/USA and 3.5mm end for the iPhone. The factory cable was ridiculously overpriced, but I found this one on Amazon for $23. The no name cable works fine. Replaces BMW Part #61120440796 or 61120440812

31xrpKsWqxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Attachments

• sena.jpg
    sena.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
Nolans

I would be curious as to your total cost of that set up. I recently bought an '06 LT and went with new Nolan N-103's with the J & M factory installed headsets. They seem fine and total per helmet was $408.

Davev - I agree totally with your comment that the Sena sound quality is poor when pumping the XM through the Sena speakers - which is sad considering the cost of the Sena and the current state of technology of small speakers.
I had the same problems setting up the link even though I did have the manual. A call to BMWMotorrad custom care got me the following answer - "call your dealer for help because we don't really provide customer support (here at the customer support call center)!". A lot of the link information in the BMW radio manual is incorrect as you will see when you work your way through it. :dunno
I think your comments are right on the mark - the only thing you can really listen to on XM over the Sena's is talk radio --- or comedy!!!

I just picked up my R12RT this week, and was also disappointed with the XM bluetooth to Sena sound quality. The R12RT USB iPhone music to Sena sound quality was acceptable but still not ideal. After several hours of various forum research, I've ordered the following BMW connectors:
1. 83300413585 - To power the Garmin 660.
2. 83300402344 - Will add a 3.5 mm jack & resistors (stereo to mono) to feed the Garmin audio out to the R12RT audio in, so I get the Garmin turn-by-turn voice commands from the R12RT.
3. 83300413584 - This is for the R12RT audio out. Planning to splice in a 3.5 mm stereo jack, and then use this to plug directly into the Sena headset, so I'll have wired sound quality. Then i should be able to adjust volume and sound via the R12RT controls (?).

I think I'll pair the iPhone bluetooth directly to the Sena for receiving phone calls, as I've found this to be simple (1 button to answer) and of decent quality. I'm unsure if I can use the iPhone as a R12RT audio source and still receive calls via bluetooth. Maybe I'll test this later today. If not, I'll use a USB flash drive for my music library, and just keep the iPhone in the tank bag.

In the past, i've paired the iPhone to the Garmin, and the Sena to the Garmin, but once again the sound quality sucked, as did bluetooth music from the Garmin.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I would be curious as to your total cost of that set up. I recently bought an '06 LT and went with new Nolan N-103's with the J & M factory installed headsets. They seem fine and total per helmet was $408.

Off my head- the PAIR of Sena's were well under $300 delivered.
The adapter cable was $23. So I did two helmets for about $150 each. Or $300 total.

I also bought an extra "clamp" for my helmet ($35), this changes the unit from speakers and boom mike to earphones and stick on mike. Didn't use it, the boom mike system worked fine.

Link to Sena product: http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/smh10.php?tab_menu=overview

There is a group buy on the Sena's going on. Not my deal so I won't link it here, but would give out in a PM.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 580
Back