• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding the Cote-Nord

jamesevans

Just took a trip from Prince Edward Island via Quebec City up to Havre St. Pierre on the Cote-Nord of the Saint Lawrence (Quebec) on my 2009 R1200RT. I was heading for Natashquan - the end of the road, or at least the paved bit - but bad weather forecasts drove me back. That, and the cost of accommodation: $120 for an absolute fleapit in Sept-Iles, the cheapest room in town! There's a mining and hydro-power construction boom up here, and it shows.

The road was well-paved for the most part (when it wasn't under construction, which was quite a lot), winding and stunningly scenic when it came down to the coast, but almost no lookouts or places to pull off safely to enjoy the view: and with big 18-wheelers and logging trucks going 120 km/h plus, you need to get off the road! One logging truck tried to kill me, pulling over into the passing lane as I was coming past. Admittedly it was raining - he probably didn't see me (if he looked). Traffic after Tadoussac was pretty light. Tadoussac is always worth a visit - even in September there were belugas and some big whales to be see from the shore.

In mid-September all the tourist info places were closed, and most of the campgrounds. I did find a site near Baie-Trinite at Les Ilets Caribou, right on the shore, a fantastic display of Northern Lights thrown in with the usual campsite amenities, $28. Seemed like a bargain, although I could have done without my early call from the hunters on the first day of duck season.

Coming back I took the ferry from Godbout to Matane. Making a reservation was a real hassle, with a terrible website. The reservation seems to guarantee that you have to wait until AFTER everyone else gets on. I'd paid by card, and when I got on was handed a stamped ticket. On board, at 11 a.m., they weren't serving the brunch listed on the menu - apparently that's only on the early crossing! When I got off (last) they asked for the ticket then claimed I hadn't paid. Apparently you have to pay the balance at some other time - no-one told me where or when. I rode off and left them to it, I'm afraid.

All in all, a very mixed trip. In the summer with more reliable weather and campsites it would be more fun, and if you're on a GS and prepared to get off the road a bit I imagine there's lots of free camping opportunities. It really is some road, and if you like gravel you'll soon be able to go all the way to Blanc-Sablon.

Boy I'd love to see some pix from this. I gotta say- heavy industry does tend to ruin roads, scenery, and fun- but I suppose I can't be so selfish as to ask that they hold off on mining, fracking, and logging while we ride our motorcycles around for the heck of it! :laugh

We rode up into Nova Scotia in June 2012 and had a wonderful time of it. We then rode across to spend a couple days in Quebec City... Very nice but shoulda just stayed in Nova Scotia! Didn't have enough time to take our time, so no Gapse Peninsula, just a flying beeline from Cape Breton Island to Rivi?re Du Loup, then a short country ride down the river to the City.

O! Canada, when will I see you again?

Sorry, no pix. I have to say you missed all the good bits going straight up to R. du Loup and missing the Gaspe: but New Brunswick is pretty tedious whichever way you go, unless you're heading down by the Bay of Fundy. Come back soon!:wave:wave:wave:wave:drink

I have to say you missed all the good bits going straight up to R. du Loup and missing the Gaspe: but New Brunswick is pretty tedious whichever way you go, unless you're heading down by the Bay of Fundy. Come back soon!:wave:wave:wave:wave:drink

Yeah tell me about it! We thought we might cut across Gaspe to Matane, ferry across then ride downriver to QC... Time got the better of us, I'm afraid. In the end, we just should have spent as much time as possible on Nova Scotia/Cape Breton Island, and bee-lined home then. Too late.

All in all, we (us & the girls) all had fun. Isn't that what counts? Ha ha.

Cheers!
Tom

Back