• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ridersshare releases their findings of reliability of brands they rent out

brownie0486

The website Ridersshare which facilitates motorcycle rentals by motorcycle owners has released data on tow rates per rental day of motorcycles by brand/make. Lower tow rates indicate more reliable motorcycles higher tow rates indicate less reliable motorcycles. See the list of tow rates below What do you think?
Tow Rates by Brand/Make:

INDIAN 0.18%
BMW 0.18%
KAWASAKI 0.20%
HONDA 0.20%
HARLEY-DAVIDSON 0.22%
KTM 0.23%
Others 0.24%
YAMAHA 0.30%
TRIUMPH 0.32%
CAN-AM 0.32%
DUCATI 0.34%
SUZUKI 0.35%
ROYAL ENFIELD 0.86%

I wonder too how this differs in rental bikes vs. non-rental, either in actual issues or reporting.

Whenever statistical results are depicted in something other than a rigorously reviewed scientific document I often feel the need wonder about the results being presented. [Even with scientific documents the results should still pass the "believability" test.]

In the results above BMW is shown to have a reliability of 0.18%. In viewing the linked document this is tows per rental day. So the BMW results indicate that one tow was required for each 556 rental days. I wonder what the total number of tows
of BMW bikes were. Was it one tow, 10 tows, 100 tows or what? The most common cause of a tow was a dead battery; excluded were tire punctures.

Perhaps the most surprising thing to me was the fact that folks are willing to rent their bikes to strangers. I can see a business for bike rental, but I'd never consider renting a bike to a stranger. I have had friends take bikes on trips; this is the main
method that I was able to relocate my bikes from Ohio to NC when I retired. [I asked a few riding buddies to pick a bike and I would pay for gas, food, and lodging while we took an indirect route (2 or 3 days) to make the journey from OH to NC.] Only
once was a tow needed - this was due to a dead battery - my fault as I'd inadvertently disconnected the charging circuit from the system when changing the oil prior to our trip (on a HD not BMW!).

One of my neighbors has a couple of bikes, including one that mostly sits, so he tried renting that one out.
A guy from Austria (allegedly) called him, and came by to pick it up.
It came back with a scraped saddlebag (outer lower edge) and exhaust pipe on one side.
He had a hell of a time trying to collect the insurance to pay for it, so he decided the bottom line is "Screw This."

Back