• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Reviews of the Edelweiss Bike touring company

pmariana

Hi folks,

first, let me know if this post should go elsewhere,

then, my question - I am interested in doing one or more tours with a company that I have not used before called Edelweiss Bike Travel, out of Austria it seems, https://www.edelweissbike.com/en/

they look to be answering a number of my needs, the first of which is a return trip to Cuba to ride there (first time riding there, not first time there) - and then Africa as well, etc.,

so, just the usual thoughts - has anyone used Edelweiss before, are they a reliable group based on your experience with them? their own publicity looks good, I just want to get the opinion of anyone who has already used their services before, just the usual concerns/interests,

otherwise, thanks all! muy apreciado!

Peter Brassel
Vancouver, BC
Canada

Welcome! There are a couple of past threads listed below which mention Edelweiss bike tours. Here's another that I found:

They might be dated, though. There are other ride reports but for motorcycle trips...could be more general about the organization.

Thanks to 20774, appreciate the links, I looked at those too! cheers!

Thanks to gsjay - glad to hear that (i) you have used Edelweiss and (ii) found them good enough to go back! that's exactly what I was looking for . . .

just wanted to see if there were any particular negatives reported -- everyone has small ups/downs on tours, but that's not a problem. Just looking for major negatives from anyone.

thanks again!

Peter

I have never toured with Edelweiss. That said, the company has been around a very long time; has been a long time supporter of the BMW MOA; and, has an excellent reputation.

Thanks pglaves, I appreciate the response and the different angles of approach to the question - also very helpful!

My first trip. 1990. Our group, I'm on the left neon green hat and bandana. I was 25 and borrowed money to go. Second picture is Werner Wachter founder of the company on this left, his son Tobis on the right. Tobis runs the company now!

Attachments

• IMG_9891.jpeg
    IMG_9891.jpeg
    982.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9893.jpeg
    IMG_9893.jpeg
    669.9 KB · Views: 8
My first trip. 1990. Our group, I'm on the left neon green hat and bandana. I was 25 and borrowed money to go. Second picture is Werner Wachter founder of the company on this left, his son Tobis on the right. Tobis runs the company now!
The guys in the top row, second from the right is Dexter Ford. He wrote for Cycle Magazine. He did a whole story about the trip and our group was featured though out the article. Boy, could he ride!

I've done 3 tours with Edelweiss. Nothing but good things to say...with one caution.

My first was in 2005, and also my first European riding trip. Boy, am I glad this was my first experience. All the details were taken care of, top quality hotels, food and bikes. Great, knowledgeable, skilled tour guides. Made me want more.

Did a 2014 Scotland tour on my own, but that's a different story...

In 2018, did a Tuscany tour, 2-up with my wife. Absolutely fantastic experience, stunning riding. Made me want even more...

Retired at the end of 2018, shipped a bike with Knopf to store in Heidelberg, and have been back every year since for extended tours.

In 2023, did their Alps Riding Academy ($200 back courtesy of the MOA), LOTS of fun, stunning riding, and a terrific coach (Christian). A great experience.

My only caveat: On the Tuscany tour we had 2 riders that, simply put, were not skilled enough for the conditions. One, another rider's wife, decided to stop riding after a couple of days and rode in the van. The other continued to ride, unfortunately, but the tour guides did what they could to minimize the impact on the rest of us.

I would not hesitate to do another trip with them. That said, I really enjoy being on my own (or with my wife) for trips...easier to explore and wander.

Another piece of advice: if you're planning on doing any sightseeing other than riding, I'd do that first, before the ride, rather than after. That way, if your riding gear gets lost or delayed by the airline, you have time to fix the problem. If you do the riding tour first, that's much harder to fix.

Good luck, if you have any specific questions, happy to help.

Ciao!

Back