• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Restoring trashed boots.

C

crgrbrts

How to get more seasons from seasoned boots.

A couple of years ago, I got a pair of Hein Gericke boots at a ridiculously low closeout bargain price. They aren't Aerostich Combats or Red Wings (which I also have), but are very lightweight, luxuriously lined , equipped with rubber shift pads and safety padding, completely waterproof and much more comfortable than my other footwear. Consequently, I wore them almost every single day for two years. Of course, because of this constant wear and light construction, they were pretty much trashed by then. The soles were worn through completely in places and stitching along the sides was gone. The uppers were very scuffed and scruffy.

I was about to toss them in the dumpster but, out of curiosity, took them to a local shoe repair shop instead to see if they could be salvaged. "Is there any way these can be fixed?", I asked, expecting a dismissive laugh.

The cobbler, a stereotypically charming Italian immigrant, replied, "Anything is possible."

Five days and $75.00 later I was presented with my old Hein Gerickes in perfect condition. They are, quite literally, better than new. The very thin, synthetic soles had been replaced by iron-tough Vibrams. The loose seams had been glued and restitched for many more years of wear. The badly scuffed uppers had been completely refinished.

Sure, with the restoration and upgrading costs, these medium-grade "bargain" boots have now cost me about $150 -- but that's still significantly less than a pair of comparable new boots that might not be as comfortable and well-fitting.

By the way, I've learned about a couple of useful products for minor do-it-yourself boot repair, thanks to my cobbler friend. One is Barge contact cement for reattaching bits and repairing split seams. The other is Shu-Magic. It's a foam substance that refinishes leather to like-new condition. Many shoe repair shops sell both.

Anyway, if you're looking for a fairly economical way to restore some old, favorite boots, try a local shoe repair shop. You might be surprised at what these skilled craftsmen can do. I was.

I wish I had taken a "before" photo -- but here are my restored boots...

Craig
happily shod in Merry-Land

Attachments

• HG_restored.jpg
    HG_restored.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 319
Good post!:thumb

I have my dress shoes (expensive Johnston & Murphy's) resoled by a cobbler who is also an Italian immigrant. The guy is an artist and can perform miracles on old beat-up shoes. I have five pair of dress shoes each of which have been resoled at least once. One pair is 15 years old and has been resoled five times. When I get them back they look brand new.

Back