• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rain Gear for a Naked Motorcycle

Riding a naked R75/5 is a much different experience than the R1100RS, which I no longer own. The windshield and fairing on the Oilhead kept most of my torso dry. My head, arms, shoulders, lower legs and feet needed protection, but the rest of my body stayed relatively dry. Things are more “wide open” on the Airhead. I was amazed at how much more “intense” rain riding was on my current ride. There is no protection from the elements. This is something I appreciate about the R75/5, but not in the rain.

Whether you have a fairing or not, at some point you'll get to stop in the rain and a fairing won't keep you dry. Suggest not differentiating between raingear for naked and not naked bikes, as it's pretty much an irrelevant distinction.

Agree regarding helmets.

However, BMW states and it's true, that their black Airflow suit indeed reflects heat.
ROFL Black suit treated to reflect heat. Why not start with a lighter color and stay cooler? Black suit treated to reflect heat. ROFLASTC

Whether you have a fairing or not, at some point you'll get to stop in the rain and a fairing won't keep you dry. Suggest not differentiating between raingear for naked and not naked bikes, as it's pretty much an irrelevant distinction.

Agreed a rain suit should be just that. Thinking a somehow ...what... lighter suit is sufficient on a bike with a fairing is... Think this over. Standing at a light in the pouring rain is (pun intended) a wash. Wind blowing from the side... I'll take all the help I can get, thanks. There are good rain suits and there's (wet) money down the rat hole. Pick one.

I have yet to wear a helmet that really works in the rain. My Schuberth S1 was a good helmet, but it turned into a greenhouse after the second raindrop. I have a Pinlock shield in my Shoei ST-Air. It points out the other problem with helmets: the shield may be OK but your glasses are fogging. I have yet to find a meaningful fix for this; riding without glasses is not an option for me.

I also have experienced the glasses fogging behind the shield on my Shoei NeoTec. I carry and use a product called "Cat Crap" (see URL: http://ekusa.com/product/cat-crap/). I just returned from a two-week trip from Boston to North Carolina. I rode in rain every day and used the Cat Crap to keep my glasses clear of fog. I have a PinLock insert on my shield, but needed the CC to see.

Actually, Kent, I think the "distinction" is more obvious.

While we all sit in the pouring rain at a red light or in thick traffic, decent faring protection at speed keeps the rider less drenched and more comfortable. Ergo, the best possible rain gear when riding a 'naked' bike is very important, and 'non-naked' mounts, protected by decent fairings, have a distinct advantage. :dunno

I like the sound of the product. Thanks for the heads up! I ordered the spray. $7.50 shipping??? :scratch

That seems crazy. If you live in a place where you have an REI store, or some other outdoor equipment place, I'm sure you'll find it there. I have not used the spray as the little round container was the only thing available in my REI. That works well, and the amount you use is so little that the little container will probably last ten years of riding.

If you're an Amazon Prime member, they'll ship it free to you. See: https://www.amazon.com/EK-Ekcessori...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=96C31TZ2PBN77XNAGBPR

Actually, Kent, I think the "distinction" is more obvious.

While we all sit in the pouring rain at a red light or in thick traffic, decent faring protection at speed keeps the rider less drenched and more comfortable. Ergo, the best possible rain gear when riding a 'naked' bike is very important, and 'non-naked' mounts, protected by decent fairings, have a distinct advantage. :dunno
Think of it as getting wet in the shower versus standing in front of garden hose full on.

That seems crazy. If you live in a place where you have an REI store, or some other outdoor equipment place, I'm sure you'll find it there. I have not used the spray as the little round container was the only thing available in my REI. That works well, and the amount you use is so little that the little container will probably last ten years of riding.

If you're an Amazon Prime member, they'll ship it free to you. See: https://www.amazon.com/EK-Ekcessori...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=96C31TZ2PBN77XNAGBPR
Argh! Now you tell me REI carries it. Argh! I'll let you slide on this one, but next time... [/wink]

ROFL Black suit treated to reflect heat. Why not start with a lighter color and stay cooler? Black suit treated to reflect heat. ROFLASTC

If you tried it you'd be a believer.

At MotoGP at COTA I put my jacket back on to be cooler in the sun.

It's now the 21st century, BTW.

Back