• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question about the indicated range to empty

Thanks again for everyone's response. The main thing I've gotten from what people have said is that BMW has not done a good job of explaining how the Range is calculated and what it represents. The range appears to be based on the usable gallons excluding the reserve, which seems odd to me because that's when you'd really want to know the range. I don't really need it when the tank is mostly full. I think I may go back to the system I use on the R100 RT, which is, as some have mentioned, to reset the trip odometer after filling up and knowing how many miles you can go before running.

I just ride and when the range indicator comes on I start looking for a gas station. The range will vary because it is monitoring current riding. I've seen the range go up and down depending on my speed. I use it like I did the red low gas light on my SAAB when I had to mix oil with gas. It's a reminder not to go too much farther without filling up

The range appears to be based on the usable gallons excluding the reserve, which seems odd to me because that's when you'd really want to know the range. .

When you hit reserve (usually around 1 gallon) the Range to Empty will turn on by itself along with a yellow triangle.
On bikes with a TFT the warning takes over most of the screen so you can't miss it.
I still reset one of my trip meters at each gas stop.

I just ride and when the range indicator comes on I start looking for a gas station.

Good luck in west Texas, southern New Mexico, central Wyoming, and half of Montana. Stations can be much further apart than that remaining range.

Good luck in west Texas, southern New Mexico, central Wyoming, and half of Montana. Stations can be much further apart than that remaining range.

Good point. I usually look ahead on my map for towns big enough to have gas. If I'm not sure I get gas early.

Good point. I usually look ahead on my map for towns big enough to have gas. If I'm not sure I get gas early.

When I traveled up the alcan in BC, then into the Yukon territory, the rule of thumb was don't pass a gas pump. Even if you had 3/4 of a tank.

Traveling through SD, Wyoming, gas wasn't all the far away. I still filled up when it was available. Only once in SD was it was touch and go when I passed a station and then found out I had to cross 150 or so miles to the next town/station. Learned to live with the rule of getting gas when it was available, not when I had a gallon left.

Here is an example. TX Highway 118 past our house runs 80 miles between stations in Alpine and Study Butte. Unlike some places there are no signs saying "Next Fuel 80 Miles". A glance at a map could provide a clue but a GPS at 3 miles range tells a rider/driver nothing.

This is why I try to keep several gallons of gas on hand for the misfortunate. If caught off guard with a fuel light, a range of 40 miles or less might allow going back for fuel but often would not permit continuing to get fuel. And north out of Roswell to Vaughn, NM is 96 miles without fuel.

From Colorado Springs to Kit Carson is 113 miles. There was, and then there wasn't fuel there. Years ago I made a trip to and from Colorado Springs. On Wednesday going westbound I gassed up at Punkin Center. On my return trip on Saturday I left Colorado Springs with enough fuel to easily get to Punkin Center but not on to Kit Carson. When I arrived in Punkin Center the fuel pumps had been removed and the building was then a beauty/barber shop, all in the period of three days. I had to detour north to Limon to get gas. Ugh!

I could cite others but these examples provide a flavor of much of the west. In the west gas early and often.

+1 It is an adaptive algorithm based on the most current fuel usage rate.

Agreed. I miscalculated my fuel needed on a long haul, and was watching my distance to empty vs distance to the next servo like a hawk. When I slowed down to 70km/h conserve fuel, the DTE quickly increased, and I came in on fumes.

Good point. When I'm on a trip I start looking for a gas station when I get to a half tank. That works and I don't have a gas anxiety, most of the time. The start looking for a gas station when the light comes on is for local rides, and I know there is a station within range.

I'm planning a trip from Las Cruces, down to Houston and beyond. Looking a Google maps, the gas stops are few are far between. Out here in Nowhere, NM, fuel stops are scarce; one must plan accordingly. I ride an RT, but a GSA with that huge fuel tank would be great for this territory.

I'm planning a trip from Las Cruces, down to Houston and beyond. Looking a Google maps, the gas stops are few are far between. Out here in Nowhere, NM, fuel stops are scarce; one must plan accordingly. I ride an RT, but a GSA with that huge fuel tank would be great for this territory.

In windy WTX among other WOS,, the GSA and RT prob get same distance per tank. :eek
Have ridden both and the wind catching GSA runs thru the fuel quickly battling wind. I fueled in Ft Stockton and had to gas in Pecos to make Artesia battling a brisk headwind. I laughed at display a few times.

Have ridden both and the wind catching GSA runs thru the fuel quickly battling wind. I fueled in Ft Stockton and had to gas in Pecos to make Artesia battling a brisk headwind. I laughed at display a few times.

Try it on a 310 sometime. :)

Back