• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Outer Banks of NC

CTellman

I had a great ride today to the ferry terminal at Cedar Island. 100 miles round trip. It is the departure point to take the ferry to Ocracoke on the Outer Banks. No traffic, a few curves and beautiful vistas of the Atlantic. My airhead is amazingly smooth and responsive.
This is not an interesting place to ride because the roads are straight and boring.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Last edited:
Have you ever taken the ferry with one of your bikes? I have pondered doing an Outer Banks loop some time, but did not want to ride that far only to find the ferry portion to be a disaster.

Ferries to the banks

They have a really good ferry system to and back.The few times i've been over there they do take good care of the bikers and are very safety concious. Make sure you are aware of their schedule which changes through the year and if you go during the busy season you may need a reservtion in advance. Myself I would avoid the outer banks like the plague on any holiday weekend, it can take two hours to get across the bridge at times...

The Outer Banks . . . .

The Outer Banks are beautiful. The roads are straight and sometimes sand covered. I would not consider going there during the Summer. Too many rubberneckers and people who don't know where they're going. Sometimes too hot. The best riding for me (ATGATT) is from October into May.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11S1000RR

A couple times a year we will ride to South Port and catch the Ferry to Wilmington, N.C. Bikes are very secure. If you stand on the front of the Ferry and throw pieces of Bread to the Seagulls, the Captain will chew you out. (don't ask how I know this) always feed the birds from the rear of the boat. :laugh

If I go, it will be in the off season. How long is the trip? Do you need to tie the bike down or can you just let it sit on the sidestand? The ferry across the James at Jamestown is a short run with little boat movement so leaving the bike on the sidestand is convenient.

Maybe not as bad as before

The Outer Banks are beautiful. The roads are straight and sometimes sand covered. I would not consider going there during the Summer. Too many rubberneckers and people who don't know where they're going. Sometimes too hot. The best riding for me (ATGATT) is from October into May.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11S1000RR

What with the recession and all, we found the summer crowds way down when we rode the outer banks between the Johnson City Rally and the RA. We rode through Myrtle beach, and the hotels were crying for customers.

Be sure to stop at Kitty Hawk for a walk through of the museum and memorial there.

Back