• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Original Finish on the "Y" Wheel Rims on the Monoshocks

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
Here's an interesting question. How were the "Y" wheel rims finished originally from BMW on the monoshocks (and early K bikes for that matter)? The rims do not appear to be painted or coated, but rather just some alloy. The parts fiche says cast iron, but I doubt they're iron. The wheels, while in average to good condition, don't look so nice anymore. My first thought was to powder coat them, but the mechanic who took the tires off gave me some advice on where to and where not to have powder coating applied. And now, I'm second guessing whether to powder coat them or not. Perhaps a really good cleaning would be better. I just want them to look good.

A good cleaning that doesn’t involve metallic scrubbing brushes would be a good start. There are a number of readily available cleaning products designed for aluminum wheels. If that gets them to where you are happy with them you might consider a clear coat spray to keep them looking sharp.

If cleaning isn’t enough, the next option would be having the wheels vapor-honed or blasted with crushed walnut shells (NOT sand) which usually restores an OEM look, and clear-coating is an option at that point.

Lastly, there’s always the option of cleaning then painting with Wurth Silver Wheel Paint. That matches quite well with wheels on the oilheads and newer bikes but might be a touch too “silver” for airhead or early-k wheels.

Best,
DeVern

My 86 Monoshock has silver painted wheels. Fairly sure that my 85 K100 did too.

My wheels are silver as well, and my initial thought is that they were/are painted. Now that I see them with the tires off, I'm not so sure. The wheels don't look like they're painted.

Back