• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New fuel labeling in Europe come in effect Oct 12

patm

Expect new labeling on fuel pumps and cars throughout Europe to appear soon. What it means for us motorcyclists, E5 is your Super 95 (Regular gasoline 95 RON), E10 is your Super 95 + 10% Ethanol. They don't say anything about premium fuels.

7f9042e7a04446e86674d208abf.png

Changes in fuel labeling throughout the European Union

EU Directive 2014/94 /EU of the European Parliament and of the Council will enter into force in October this year. The new fuel labeling system will appear at petrol stations in the Community and on vehicles.

New labels
In October this year, old labeling will disappear from the gas stations and new symbols will appear:

– E5, E10 and E85 for gasoline (in a circle),

– B7, B10 and XTL for diesel fuel (in square),

– H2 (hydrogen), CNG (compressed natural gas), LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) and LNG (liquefied natural gas)

https://trans.info/en/changes-in-fuel-labeling-throughout-the-european-union-99957

Sad to see the EU buying into the same delusional corn gas regimen that is in place in the US. Not the first time that some segments of the current EU have seen a dependence upon alcohols for fuel.

Is EU ethanol domestically produced or are they importing it from the US?

Best,
DG

Sad to see the EU buying into the same delusional corn gas regimen that is in place in the US. Not the first time that some segments of the current EU have seen a dependence upon alcohols for fuel.

Is EU ethanol domestically produced or are they importing it from the US?

Best,
DG
Yes, I started seeing E10 a lot over the last few years. During my trip last summer, I saw more of the E10 than the years before. Some smaller station had only E10. From what I understand they produce most of what they use and import the rest.

A quick google search gave me this document: European renewable ethanol – key figures 2017

Thanks, that’s a useful document. Just as with similar documentation I’ve seen in the US, their carbon emissions claims and petroleum reduction estimates need to be taken with a hefty dose of skepticism, since they omit or overlook emissions generated in production of precursor materials like corn. And I’d guess that Europe, especially Eastern Europe, still has a lot of older vehicles and equipment in use—all of them susceptible to alcohol damage like we’ve seen in the US. Factors like those don’t seem to be routinely included in calculations on the economics of ethanol fuels.

Best,
DG

the economics of ethanol fuels.

Best,
DG

I think the economics of ethanol fuel is that agri-business can grow corn cheaply and don't have to worry about it being edible. With subsidies and lobbying the ethanol producers, agri-business farming, have pushed an agenda to benefit themselves.
This is my opinion which is probably not worth much, maybe 2 cents.

I think the economics of ethanol fuel is that agri-business can grow corn cheaply and don't have to worry about it being edible. With subsidies and lobbying the ethanol producers, agri-business farming, have pushed an agenda to benefit themselves.
This is my opinion which is probably not worth much, maybe 2 cents.
Politically connected big campaign donors pushing an agenda to benefit themeselves? I'm shocked, shocked!, I tell you, at the very idea of such a thing.

Back