• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New front end on a K75

what's wrong with the stock front end?

It’s marginally capable as compared to a modern USD fork? You can get brake technology from this century?

You’ll need to figure out a fender and deal with the switchgear, but I bet a GSX-R front end would be pretty terrific on that bike. Oshmoto sells the spindle, I think.

I’m not sure the expense and hassle of swapping a sport bike front end onto a brick-k would be worth it, even with an USD fork. There’s still the weight to deal with, the longer wheelbase, the frt/rear wheel alignment offset, etc. that impact handling—this is never going to become a cut-and-thrust sport bike.

There are vendors like Tractive that offer cartridge internals for the brick-k bikes, that can dramatically improve front fork action with much less investment in time and money. And then there’s basics, like every brick-k ever built should be on it’s second or third set of fork springs by now, with appropriate sag and preload adjustments included in the job.

Best,
DeVern

I’m not sure the expense and hassle of swapping a sport bike front end onto a brick-k would be worth it, even with an USD fork. There’s still the weight to deal with, the longer wheelbase, the frt/rear wheel alignment offset, etc. that impact handling—this is never going to become a cut-and-thrust sport bike.

There are vendors like Tractive that offer cartridge internals for the brick-k bikes, that can dramatically improve front fork action with much less investment in time and money. And then there’s basics, like every brick-k ever built should be on it’s second or third set of fork springs by now, with appropriate sag and preload adjustments included in the job.

Best,
DeVern

I put RaceTech stuff in my airhead and it's better. But it's a long way from what my 916 was like in terms of compliance and control. By the time I got done with the billet top clamp, springs, emulators and additional bits, I was probably in for $600 or so. I did my own work, as well.

I think something that might be getting overlooked is that a modern fork usually comes with a wheel and a brake system. There's absolutely no doubt that you will have far more powerful braking, especially with larger rotors, radial brake discs and MC and generally a lighter wheel than the things that kBikes came with.

Better and modern brakes, less unsprung weight, better compliance and an ability to put a modern radial tire on the front? I'm in. If you compare what I spent on my airhead with the cost of installing a modern front end, complete, the price differential between "acceptably modified 80s technology" and "modern brakes and suspension installed on your bike" is like $400.

Seems like a deal to me if one is willing to work through the control clusters, pressing out the old spindle and bolting it all up.

Your mileage may vary, but let's be frank - the K75 was designed 45 years ago. There have been vast improvements in motorcycles and this is a relatively easy way to update these vastly interesting bikes, IMHO. I'd got with a K11RS radial wheel on the back and now you'd even have modern rubber to go with a more modern suspension and brake setup.

I think this'd be pretty sweet on a late R100R, as well, but that's just me.

Back