• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nailed it! Time to re-tire?

daveslash5

Coming home from the Rally, I noticed that my front tire, a Dunlop Trailmax Mission, was losing about 1 psi a day. On arrival in SC I went over it and finally spotted a nail going in at an angle at the base of a tread block and pushed in nearly flush with the base. The tire now has 7k miles on it and at it's current rate of wear it looks like I could get twice that. These tires wear and preform well!
My first thought is to pull the nail, patch it and keep riding. I then thought about riding on a patched front tire and that worries me a bit, so I may be replacing it now. I will be riding on everything from interstates to fire roads and wonder how well a patch will hold. I am basically cheap but I like to be safe.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Last edited:
When you say patch, do you mean to remove the tire and patch it from the inside?

I don’t have a problem with a plugged tire. Whatever makes you comfortable.
OM

I would replace it, especially since I have the Platinum coverage with tire replacement. Without that coverage I would still replace a front tire but might ride a plugged rear with lots of miles left on it.

I have found that a rider who asks for opinions about riding on a repaired tire is very unlikely to ever feel at ease riding on the tire. It matters not what I would do. Do what OM suggests and do whatever puts you at ease.

Lee: Yes, a proper patch on the inside is what I was thinking.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have ridden with patched rear tire many years ago and it did OK, but that was in the 1980's with a 400cc Yamaha road bike. I would wonder about a patched front tire especially bouncing over washboarded forest service roads on a 1200GS. I think the "peace of mind" factor will overcome the "cheap, misery, penny pinching BMW rider" factor; I will see my dealer tomorrow and order a new tire since the bike has an appointment for it's 24K service anyway.

Back