• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MSF's "Advanced Rider Course" -- ARC

bmwdean

BMW MOA co-founder
Has anyone taken the ARC? If so, what is your opinion of the course?

"Advanced RiderCourse (ARC)"
A one-day course that complements your basic skills and helps with personal risk assessment. It includes a fast-paced classroom segment with several fun interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness. Range exercises enhance both basic operating skills and crash-avoidance skills. Improving your braking and cornering finesse is emphasized. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle."

I've taken the course 2-3 times over the years and have always benefitted from it. Any training is good. Go for it.

Jeff, Annie and I have taken the course three times, including in 2017 and 2018. I find it to be a very good course in refreshing skills such as emergency braking, trail braking, swerving to avoid hazards, cornering in a variety of scenarios and some other skills and techniques. The course underwent a revision in format beginning in 2018. Previously, the class was split evenly between classroom and range time. Now classroom time is much reduced so more time is spent actually riding. We try to take the course as early in the riding season as possible. It is and excellent way to get your head and body back in the game after an extended break in riding.

I have taken it two times.

Very beneficial. I need to take it again as a refresher.

I always tell my insurance company when I complete an approved training class. Not sure if it helps keep my rates down or not.

A one-day course that complements your basic skills and helps with personal risk assessment. It includes a fast-paced classroom segment with several fun interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness. Range exercises enhance both basic operating skills and crash-avoidance skills. Improving your braking and cornering finesse is emphasized. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle."

Well, Hello there Mr. Dean (whom I trained under at Madison Technical College back in 2004, to become an MSF RiderCoach!).

I took the ARC (as a student - not an instructor) and found it very beneficial for street survival skills; much more so than a track day.

Take one - you'll like it! :thumb

I've been an MSF instructor since 2004, and have taken and taught the MSF Advanced Riding Class. While I have drank the proverbial Total Control Koolade since Pennsylvania adopted the new curriculum the beginning of this year, I would say take whatever training you can get; especially since statistics show an inverse proportion of rider education to accidents.

Note: The Total Control Advance Riding Clinic (TC-ARC) goes deeper than the MSF Advance Riding Class (MSF-ARC). MSF focus' on riding skills using what some call the peanut track, decreasing radius turns, and maximum braking. Total Control focus' on eye placement, stabilizing the suspension prior to turns, improving ground clearance through turns by changing the center of gravity (see pics below), threshold braking, and suspension.

IMG-4596.JPG

IMG-4597.JPG

Hope this helps
To be clear, both curriculum's are quite informative and worth the investment/time.
Peace
Rick

I haven't taken the ARC but did take the "Ride Like a Pro" course that is used for LEO training and found it excellent. From what uce read the technical aspects seem quite similar to the ARC material. Also much on the bike time compared to classroom time. In any event mire training us a good thing to help keep those bad habits at bay. Go for it.

Hey Jeff,

I've taught the ARC since early in its inception, including multiple times at the National.
I like it. Quite a bit. A big step up from the old ERC, now renamed as the BRCII.

Back