• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOTORREADS: 14 January 2009

mika

Still Wondering
451790007_h4iWi-XL.jpg

thevintagent.blogspot.com: Behind the podium at Las Vegas

V-ery interestingeffectively cut off one cylinder decrease your displacement in half while converting that cylinder into a supercharger and adding more horses in the process.
thekneeslider.com: Ducati V-One Twin to supercharged single conversion

gizmag.com: Xtreme GreenÔÇÖs US$8000 65mph electric motorcycle set for launch.

Honda has spent the last couple years building new production plants in Japan while shutting down then redoing or redefining plants elsewhere in the world. Does Honda know something about 2009?
dealernews.com: Honda plans three-month production freeze in S.C.

Discussed at length on the forum in several threads, Cyrilhusblog.com confirms that Myrtle Beach city council has gone forward with their intended actions.
cyrilhuzeblog.com: Effective 2009 Myrtle Beach will no longer host motorcycle rallies

And some members complain about having to travel 90 miles to a dealer.
cyrilhuzeblog.com: Paying tribute to the only Harley repair mechanic in Cuba

motorcyclenews.com: Review ÔÇô 2009 BMW G650GS

mc24.no: No crisis for BMW

I have been looking through some old Morning Reads and mining some other blogs to find different sources. In the process I came across an old source I had misplaced along the way.
thebeachcruiser.com: Brad PittÔÇÖs bike breakdown

ATTGAT with style?
Bikes in the Fast Lane: Steel Denim ÔÇô Motorcycle Jeans

burszilla.com: Arai XD3 review

supebikeplanet.com: Ducati 851, where it all started

Kawasaki still has not made its NA plans clear. But their European arm that runs the WSBK and WSS team has. Hope springs enternal.
worldsbk.com: Full speed ahead for Kawaskai SBK and SS racing programmes

This may seem a redundant story but the focus here isnÔÇÖt Kawasaki moved its WSBK effort to Paul Bird and in the process of withdrawing from MotoGP there were questions if it and its other production teams would be able to retain or acquire new sponsors.
roadracing world.com: Paul Bird Kawasaki Superbike team renews with primary sponsors

The
motogpmatters: Ilmor ÔÇ£Interested in Moto2ÔÇØ

oliepeil.nl: Norton in 600GP?

amaproracing.com: AMA Pro announces sanctioned 2009 Test Days and Regulations

MJM will be racing in the AMA
roadracingworld.com: Michael Jordan Motorsports confirms deal with American Suzuki

motorsport.com: MX sports news

451789980_EK49j-XL.jpg

formula1.com: Formula1.com welcomes technical illustrator Giorgio Piola

Rumors continue to surround the F1 team formally know as Honda. A dozen names have been associated with purchasing it. One of the questions is what engine the team would sport, would it be last years Honda engine modified to meet the new regulations of would another manufacturer supply and engine.

Michael Schumacher was rumored as a potential buyer. This was in part linked to what role Schummi would play after the end of his current contract with Ferrari. Suddenly Ferrari was suggested as an engine supplier and as quickly Ferrari has denied that it would supply engines.

Now grandprix.com asks ÔÇô A Honda-Mercedes-Benz?

Mercedes-Benz TV: Detroit Motor Show 2009
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,16,0" width="496" height="309" id="fullscreen" align="middle"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://iptv.mercedes-benz.tv/player.swf?clipId=868&channelId=0&lang=en" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#333333" /><embed src="http://iptv.mercedes-benz.tv/player.swf?clipId=868&channelId=0&lang=en" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#333333" width="496" height="309" name="fullscreen" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></object>

439065655_jXtkj-XL.jpg

BMW-web.tv: BMW at the NAIAS
<object width="425" height="271"><param name="FlashVars" value="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=9aQYPyl"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=9aQYPyl" /><embed src="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=9aQYPyl" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="271" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=9aQYPyl"></embed></object>

446238607_RKLHp-XL.jpg

LetÔÇÖs start a rumor. We can call it bench racing speculation but that is how rumors get started some times. All good rumors blend just enough fact with pure speculation that they take on a life of their own.

In December the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme, the FIM, announced it in 2011 it will replace the current 250 GP two stroke series with a four stroke series to be called Moto2 and be based around four stroke engines with a maximum of 600cc.

Cost containment is built into this series. This has become something of the Holy Grail for sanctioning bodies and promoters these days in any racing series. The FIM has taken a different spin of sorts when it came to developing the rules and focus of this class.

In simple terms the rules take a four stroke engine with a limit of 600cc and limit what can be done to develop the engine. There are limits on induction systems, valve trains, rev limits to increase engine life and all the things that other series worry will make their series boring.

There are cost savings to be had in other areas. The electronics such as traction control and other electrical systems will be limited or not allowed. The ECU will be provided by the promoter. No carbon fiber brakes and list of permitted construction materials will be issued in the future.

What makes this series proposal interesting is the rules are focused on prototype chassis development. No production bike parts will be permitted for the frame, swing arm, fuel tank, seat and cowling, meaning that these aspects of the machine will also be left to the manufacturer and designers?? discretion.

That is the background for the new series. Now it is time to tie our bench racing rumor to another series and rumor. The Super Sport class in the World SuperBike series has a similar 600cc four stroke limits. The chassis is a production based chassis. There have been many rumors floating around that BMW will enter this class which have been reported in the Morning Reads and now in MOTORREADS. I have been particularly partial to the one which has BMW developing a 675cc triple permitted under the Super Sport class rules.

That is until December. Now I wonder why they would enter the Super Sport class and am intrigued with the idea of BMW entering Moto2 with a four cylinder bike.

The race engine for Moto2 should not be a great development leap for BMW. At the same time they could develop a street engine that may only share the same capacity but when released will gain exposure from BMWÔÇÖs participation in Moto2.

The thing that captures my imagination and it seems I hope captures BMWÔÇÖs also, is the focus of Moto2 on chassis design. Here is a chance for BMW to take on the rest of the racing world with a clean sheet of design paper at the same time they are forced by the new class to do the same. BMW has something of history of innovation with suspensions as an early adopter of the hydraulic fork, the telaleaver and duoleaver suspensions. Shaft drives have required innovations in chassis design. In the process of experimenting and demonstrating chassis innovations they will be showing the motorcycling buying world they are a technology leader.

What if they were to incorporate the transmission and swing arm design of the G450 into a Moto2 bike? Would incorporating this allow the space within a sport performance wheelbase to take the duolever racing? If the materials list allows carbon fiber in the frame why not develop a carbon fiber frame?

I can make all sorts of arguments why this makes sense from business marketing and racing standpoints. How this chance to innovate in chassis design could trickle down to the street over the years and be a benefit to all who ride BMWs in the future. I havenÔÇÖt worked them all out yet but heck the FIM hasnÔÇÖt worked out all the rules for the class yet.

Here are links to the FIM announcement and MotoGPs description of the new class. Take a look at them and see what you think. After you have had a chance to read them lets do some bench racing maybe start a rumor and influence BMWÔÇÖs racing plans in the process.
FIM rule announcement pdf
MotoGPÔÇÖs overview of the new class

439062079_Uzso4-XL.jpg

<script src="http://nmp.newsgator.com/NGBuzz/buzz.ashx?buzzId=81524&apiToken=E138700B37294DFBA31F8D381F0BDC47&trkP=&trkM=1EE7D72C-FFAF-F80B-7991-6E32E1044168" type="text/javascript"></script>

WOOT.com

Bike Candy

454474440_ZqsYJ-L.jpg

Via-ottonero.com

Comments:

I don't see how FIM can consider replacing 250 two strokes with prototype, purpose built, 600 four strokes as a cost saving move. Asking the manufacturers to develop all new race only models at a time when most of them are already cutting costs, and some are withdrawing from competition in various classes entirely? Besides, it wasn't that long ago that the 800s turned out to be faster than the 990s they replaced "in the interest of safety". I wouldn't be surprised to see 600s turn out to be too fast to be considered a second-tier class.

That said, it would be cool to see the Norton rotary on the track again.

Vintage Auction

Thanks for the link to the vintage auction blog. I was there, and he did a good job on the commentary. The blog pretty well sums it up. Good thing I didn't have a bidder's card. I was sitting on my hands the whole time as it was.

Holly

Thanks for the link to the vintage auction blog. I was there, and he did a good job on the commentary. The blog pretty well sums it up. Good thing I didn't have a bidder's card. I was sitting on my hands the whole time as it was.

Holly

I am glad you enjoyed the link and thanks for the comments. I see some of these things and take it on blind faith the author/poster isn't full of ...

:wave

I don't see how FIM can consider replacing 250 two strokes with prototype, purpose built, 600 four strokes as a cost saving move. Asking the manufacturers to develop all new race only models at a time when most of them are already cutting costs, and some are withdrawing from competition in various classes entirely? Besides, it wasn't that long ago that the 800s turned out to be faster than the 990s they replaced "in the interest of safety". I wouldn't be surprised to see 600s turn out to be too fast to be considered a second-tier class.

That said, it would be cool to see the Norton rotary on the track again.

I am not certain how much money will be saved in a 600cc class either. The engine rules at this point seem very vague. Why I wrote my rumor piece is based a lot on the 600cc engine rules allowing a production block to be used which may in fact be the case. The race only lines apply to the chassis.

Right now the split between MotoGP from SuperBikes and 250GP bikes is only 3 seconds or a bit less. My guess is MotoGP rules will change to keep or increase that gap while trying to save money. The only way to do that is the old fashion way by adding CCs. 1200cc or larger MotoGP bikes anyone?

My guess is Moto2 has more to do with attracting new manufacturers and builders to the grid. Everyone, including Norton (please, please, please) has until spring 2011 to figure it out.

:lurk

Back