• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75C's 1987 & 1988. City Case Plastic type? Clutch Parts replacement?

pjar

PeteG
I probably need to improve my search methods since I could not find the answers in the forum.

Two questions. I’ll start with the easiest first.

1) What type of plastic are K75 city cases made of? My wife works at a plastic store and has access to all types of adhesives. I need to know the type of plastic in order to get the proper adhesive for city case repair. Does anyone know? No need to waste research time on this as I have found suggestions as to what can be used for case repair purchased at the local home repair store. Just wondering if someone had this arcane knowledge.

#2 my be unanswerable. Sort of like asking how good will the party be, before I decide to attend.

2) I’m planning on doing a clutch spline lube.

Chris Harris posted a 6-part tutorial on YouTube which is quite thorough. YouTube is so fantastic filled will folks sharing their knowledge. I would not be surprised to find a tutorial on how to perform self-surgery!

I’d like to have parts on hand before starting. I’m expecting to replace the friction plate, but have no idea of the typical life span of the Pressure Plate, Housing Cover, and Diaphragm Spring. One K75C has 61k and the other has 210k mileage. To my knowledge (2nd owner) neither has had those parts replaced. Clymer's suggests they be inspected for wear or damage and describes such. In your experience how often do those three parts need replacement? I’m a first-timer and have zero prior experience on this maintenance work.

Many thanks and be well,
Pete :coffee

I probably need to improve my search methods since I could not find the answers in the forum.

Two questions. I’ll start with the easiest first.

1) What type of plastic are K75 city cases made of? My wife works at a plastic store and has access to all types of adhesives. I need to know the type of plastic in order to get the proper adhesive for city case repair. Does anyone know? No need to waste research time on this as I have found suggestions as to what can be used for case repair purchased at the local home repair store. Just wondering if someone had this arcane knowledge.

#2 my be unanswerable. Sort of like asking how good will the party be, before I decide to attend.

2) I’m planning on doing a clutch spline lube.

Chris Harris posted a 6-part tutorial on YouTube which is quite thorough. YouTube is so fantastic filled will folks sharing their knowledge. I would not be surprised to find a tutorial on how to perform self-surgery!

I’d like to have parts on hand before starting. I’m expecting to replace the friction plate, but have no idea of the typical life span of the Pressure Plate, Housing Cover, and Diaphragm Spring. One K75C has 61k and the other has 210k mileage. To my knowledge (2nd owner) neither has had those parts replaced. Clymer's suggests they be inspected for wear or damage and describes such. In your experience how often do those three parts need replacement? I’m a first-timer and have zero prior experience on this maintenance work.

Many thanks and be well,
Pete :coffee

There are two schools of thought about clutch parts. One group says that it is smart to always replace the spring, pressure plate, clutch housing, and the clutch disk. Another school of thought is to take the things apart and examine the pressure plate and clutch housing for wear, hotspots, and flatness. If still sound then replace the disk and the spring. I do the latter. Others buy all 4 parts.

Last edited:
There are two schools of thought about clutch parts. One group says that it is smart to always replace the spring, pressure plate, clutch housing, and the clutch disk. Another school of though is to take the things apart and examine the pressure plate and clutch housing for wear, hotspts, and flatness. If still sound then replace the disk and the spring. I do the latter. Others buy all 4 parts.

Thanks Paul. That answer was helpful and what I was looking for. Good to see there are two schools of thought. Greg Harris that I mentioned was a BMW factory mechanic. In his video he also inspected and reused the parts.

Thank you,
Pete

Clutch experience 203,000 mile '85 K100RS

At ~100,000 I did the sprag starter clutch replacement, checked my regular clutch friction disk and it was thick enough to put back in and lubed the clutch spline lightly and put in a rear main seal and new clutch bolts and big center nut. One day in, one day out.

At 172,000 I changed the bull gear from 6 rivets to 12. This time I put a new clutch friction disk in but it still had life left with 6 new bolts and a new big nut. One and half days to get in, the same to get it back together.

When you loosen the clutch PRE MARK each of the thee fixed pieces so you can bolt them together without lessening the factory balancing of those three.

My experience with Bob's BMW is that anything you find you need after you open it up, you can have in a couple days, so don't go too crazy pre buying all kinds of parts.

I am not a drag racing type rider or driver so my clutches last. I also know how to rev match as I shift up and down.

My experience is not to worry about clutch spline lube until you need to take off the clutch housing. I did lube both ends of the drive shaft when I lubed the shaft though maybe every 30-40k miles. Too much grease in the clutch area hurts a lot.

Last edited:
At ~100,000 I did the sprag starter clutch replacement, checked my regular clutch friction disk and it was thick enough to put back in and lubed the clutch spline lightly and put in a rear main seal and new clutch bolts and big center nut. One day in, one day out.

At 172,000 I changed the bull gear from 6 rivets to 12. This time I put a new clutch friction disk in but it still had life left with 6 new bolts and a new big nut. One and half days to get in, the same to get it back together.

When you loosen the clutch PRE MARK each of the thee fixed pieces so you can bolt them together without lessening the factory balancing of those three.

My experience with Bob's BMW is that anything you find you need after you open it up, you can have in a couple days, so don't go too crazy pre buying all kinds of parts.

I am not a drag racing type rider or driver so my clutches last. I also now how to rev match as I shift up and down.

My experience is not to worry about clutch spline lube until you need to take off the clutch housing. I did lube both ends of the drive shaft when I lubed the shaft though maybe every 30-40k miles. Too much grease in the clutch area hurts a lot.

Thanks for the feedback 075038. Very helpful as we share a similar riding style.
Be well,
Pete

Back