• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200LT worn out front suspension?

Bus rider

Hello to all,

I'm new to to the BMW community after recently purchasing an '02 K1200LT with 63k miles on the clock. Two concerns that I have about this machine.
1)The front wheel sometimes tracks with a mind of it's own. Somewhere between the handlebars and the road surface, something feels loose and/or worn out. This problem is prevalent at speeds under 30mph and especially disconcerting if riding parallel to various types blacktop road crowns or attempting to transition from one side of the crown to the other.
2) What's rattling in the rear suspension/driveline area? At slow speeds there is a pronounced metal rattle, especially over pothole patches. While on the center stand everything appears to be to be within spec and in good shape. I've noticed that the rear brake rotor appears to be a floating style disc - could that be it?

I'm not disapointed in the bike by any means, I just want to correct these issues. Please feel free to suggest other items that I should be on the lookout for or just be aware of.

Thank you

I suspect the problem is at the back of the bike.

It might be swingarm bearings (where the swingarm meets the transmission) but more likely it is the Paralever pivot bearings (where the final drive meets the swingarm). It might be the big ball bearing inside the final drive, but then I would expect an oil seal leak back there.

Check these and I suspect you will find the problem.

Thanks for your input. I'm assuming your suspicions are targeted at my tracking problem and not the rattling coming from the rear. I don't have fluid leaks anywhere on this bike so I doubt there's a rear bearing issue brewing. You could be right about the swingarm bearing (bearing or pressed in bushing?). Have you experienced symptoms similar to what I described? If so, what did you find to be the culprit?

Thanks again.

What you are describing sounds normal for a LT. The front tires with a little wear will cause the handle bars to shake below 40mph especially if you have a Metz. 880 tire. The rear rotors will rattle as the floating rivets loosen. The early 10 rivet rotors are louder than the later 5 rivet rotors. Your 2002 should have a 10 rivet rotor.

ECB has a replacement rotor for the rear that will cure your rattle also know as the Cow bell symptom. If you go to the BMWLT.com forum there is lots of data regarding the rear rotor.

The front has a ball joint that if bad will present the symptoms you are describing. Not as easy a fix as the rotor.

Back