• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Input shaft seal? 2004 R1150R

bpotter

Hi all,

The clutch was slipping on my Rockster with @17k on the odo. I have it apart now and found the disk oil fouled. Initially, I suspected the clutch slave as I see it is a common failure and the well it sits in was certainly filled with fluid. On closer inspection, however, I noted that the fluid looked and smelled like gear oil and was much darker than what is in the clutch hydraulics. The rear seal on the input shaft doesn't look great either so I suspect that is the real problem (although I'll replace the slave as well).

Can anyone confirm the rear seal on the input shaft can be replaced externally or offer any tips for completing that job? I believe it is #2 in the attached parts diagram.

Attachments

• Input seal.png
    Input seal.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
The 6 speed 1150 input shaft front seal can be replaced without transmission disassembly.
Carefully remove and replace with updated type (brown viton with felt seal)
23 12 7 705 086 SHAFT SEAL - 20X32X8

Depth is critical, see below for driver dimensions

Attachments

• 23127705086_1_B.jpg
    23127705086_1_B.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Input shaft front seal driver R1150.JPG
    Input shaft front seal driver R1150.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 60
The rear seal is a bit more difficult to remove. No disassembly required.
Be careful not to damage the sealing surface.
Seal # 23 12 7 705 085 SHAFT SEAL - 17X28X7
Depth is critical as well.

Attachments

• 23127705085_1_B.jpg
    23127705085_1_B.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 61
  • Input shaft rear seal driver R1150.jpg
    Input shaft rear seal driver R1150.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 63
Drill the bottom of the slave housing as below.
This will allow any oil or brake fluid to escape if required.
Drain slot is also effective but the hole is preferred.
Omit the gasket in that case.

Attachments

• Drain hole.jpg
    Drain hole.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Drain slot_resize.jpg
    Drain slot_resize.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 63
Many thanks for the detailed reply, GSaddict!

Just the type of info I was hoping for. A couple follow up questions, if I may:

It is my rear seal that is leaking - I'm inclined to leave well enough alone in front unless you think that unwise.

Any tips for pulling the rear seal? Sink a small screw into the seal or use a dental pick?

I will certainly be drilling a weep hole in the slave well. If only it was there from the factory, so much expense could be avoided.

Do the front seal as PM while the transmission is out.
I have never used anything but a heavy duty pick to pull.
On the rear seal, tap in inwards with a pin punch on one side a little bit to break the bond.
It will then pull out much easier.

Back