• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Info on the Burr Trail, Utah?

PoorUB

Anyone ride the Burr Trail lately, or ever?

Just wondering about general conditions. I know there is a few miles of gravel, any insight on how any miles, loose gravel or hard, packed gravel, or what ever the road surface may be?

I am planning on running it with my RT and dragging a Unigo trailer. I have no issues with hard gravel, just don't want to find out it is paved with 3 inches of loose marbles!

Anyone ride the Burr Trail lately, or ever?

Just wondering about general conditions. I know there is a few miles of gravel, any insight on how any miles, loose gravel or hard, packed gravel, or what ever the road surface may be?

I am planning on running it with my RT and dragging a Unigo trailer. I have no issues with hard gravel, just don't want to find out it is paved with 3 inches of loose marbles!

It’s been a couple years, but IIRC it’s paved from Boulder to the switchbacks then changes to dirt, with road conditions entirely dependent upon weather (current and within last several days) and traffic. There are a couple places where there’s water crossing potential if the weather is wet, and areas where rough road and some deep sand or gravel could be encountered.

Frankly, on an RT with a trailer I’d be tempted to drop the trailer at the Burr Trail Grill and ride the trail to the Notom Road intersection, or maybe a couple miles further, then back to Boulder. There’s not much of interest at Bullfrog or the marina nor from there back up to SR24, and if you want a view of the lake stop at the Hite Overlook on SR95. The best roads in that part of UT are SR12 (including the Boulder-Torrey segment), SR24 east as far as Capitol Reef and Notom Road jct, SR72 from Loa to I-70, and my favorite: Gooseberry Road from the north end of Johnson Valley Reservoir up to I-70. All are paved.
There are a lot of nice loop rides using Torrey as a base…

If you can, book an evening reservation at Hell’s Backbone Grill in Boulder for some awesome eats. For daytime eats, the Burr Trail Grill is also very good.

Have a great ride,

DeVern

We won't be riding part way and turning back, either all or noting.

The missus Is a bit reluctant for us to ride it the dirt portion and I am not arguing a whole bunch. We have a reservation at Ticabo and just might run up to Torrey and around the long way to Ticabo. If I wasn't pulling the trailer we both would be more daring.

It has been on my bucket list, but maybe another time.

I rode a short section of it a few years ago upon seeing a sign for it while leaving a pleasant roadside restaurant in Boulder, but turned around as it was really HOT out there and I had no idea where the trail actually went. The road surface varied considerably the short distance I was on it, gravel, pale dirt, and dust. I would recommend taking lots of water and a good tire patch kit with you if/when you go. A spot tracker might not be a bad idea either.

I ran into a local rider and he said he wont ride it alone, and certainly not puĺing a trailer, so we skipped it. He did mention he had ridded it many times.

Pretty familiar with it. Be best to avoid it on a bike. Many variables to the downside. PM if ya like.

Back