• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hail and farewell, lost talent in 2014- From CBS Sunday

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
As I have mentioned in the past, CBS Sunday Morning is one of my favorite shows, and I watch it when I can. One of the segments that I find real interesting is the end of the year segment on people that have passed this year. From Lauren Bacall, James Garner, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, James Rebhorn, Pugsley, and, as of late, Joe Cocker.
It's an interesting list that can remind you of the skill, talent or entertainment that you may have received from their efforts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hail-and-farewell-to-those-we-lost-in-2014/

OM

What I find interesting as I age too, is, even the "most" famous, interesting, after passing soon become vapors as the din drones forward. Remember what'sisname? Wow, could they do an interview!

The people I remember most clearly are those who passed some knowledge to me which is still useful. What is most painful is to hear of those closely connected to the love and hobby of biking and wrenching, passing. Huge volumes of knowledge pass with them.

Get to know a wrench, pass it on.

There's so much to pass on. Little stuff like how to start the snow blower. Or pull a driveshaft. Or swap out calipers. Observe the weather. Add yer own. FWIW

What I find interesting as I age too, is, even the "most" famous, interesting, after passing soon become vapors as the din drones forward. Remember what'sisname? Wow, could they do an interview!

The people I remember most clearly are those who passed some knowledge to me which is still useful. What is most painful is to hear of those closely connected to the love and hobby of biking and wrenching, passing. Huge volumes of knowledge pass with them.

Get to know a wrench, pass it on.

There's so much to pass on. Little stuff like how to start the snow blower. Or pull a driveshaft. Or swap out calipers. Observe the weather. Add yer own. FWIW
There is no sense in taking your talent to the grave. Another favorite of mine is the movie Blade Runner.
As Roy dies-

Spread your knowledge, spread your talents. They have taken away shop class, the kids have to get the (your) knowledge somewhere. :thumb
OM

TNT the "old non-commercial" channel has put together a really fine piece for those that have left us. Flowing music combined with scenes and stills of those that have moved on...........OH yeah, that was the guy...........At least some remember with grace instead of the run-your-mouth know it all.............God bless.......Dennis

A lot of small stuff learned in shop class so many years gone by, how to draw file, weld, paint, read a measure, hammer stuff, funny how schools deep six shop to teach Facebook. Sometime in the future how to fix stuff, do things, tie yer shoes, chew gum, will have to once again be taught to the smart people.

A lot of small stuff learned in shop class so many years gone by, how to draw file, weld, paint, read a measure, hammer stuff, funny how schools deep six shop to teach Facebook. Sometime in the future how to fix stuff, do things, tie yer shoes, chew gum, will have to once again be taught to the smart people.

Nah, everything is going to be disposable. You just speak into your smart watch what item you just threw away, and your WalMart model 3000 3-D printer back home makes you a new one and debits your checking account.

OM,
YOU FOUND ONE OF MY FAVORITE CINIMATIC CLIPS.
I found myself saying to my students often after an inadvertent/impromptu war story..."the things these eyes have seen."

They have You Tube videos for that stuff already. No, really they do.
As we carry this theme a little further, somebody needs the foresight to have the generator, cord, fresh fuel and the ability to get it up and running, the ability to find the youtube videos, figure out which is relevant to the problem, have the tools and the familiarity of how to operate the tools cuz............one of the big problems.....about problems.....is that they happen at the least opportune time.....with a side order of darkness :D
YMMV if running :burnout
OM

As we carry this theme a little further, somebody needs the foresight to have the generator, cord, fresh fuel and the ability to get it up and running, the ability to find the youtube videos, figure out which is relevant to the problem, have the tools and the familiarity of how to operate the tools cuz............one of the big problems.....about problems.....is that they happen at the least opportune time.....with a side order of darkness :D
OM

At the end of WW-II, the British had a wealth of experience and knowledge about aerodynamics; having identified/developed many of the fundamental relationships and analytic expressions used today. But, for the most part, after the war, they just stopped doing and put the information "on the shelf" known as academic research. Apparently, actually doing something with the information was considered "low hanging fruit" and beneath the capability of smart / talented people. After a few decades, there really wasn't any British aerospace industry, but cause you don't need to do......just know. But, how do you ever know what you don't know unless you do?

In the US, the same thing happened with the end of the space program and the fall of the Berlin Wall. We just don't have any interest in showing that we can do something better than our parents or our younger selves...

I guess that keeps us safe as the "greatest" or "smartest"

OM

OM, I actually do have the generator, the cord and fresh fuel in my garage. Additionally when my garage heater quit working yesterday, I opened it up and eyeballed it, then went on You Tube to find an example of someone demonstrating the troubleshooting of a similar machine.

I suppose what I am getting at is that there will always be someone with a different slant on any given challenge. I feel kinda sorry for the people, man or woman, who never get a chance to spend some time around clever, capable tradesmen. That is why there is value in forums like these and the You Tube demo videos. No single one of us will live long enough to learn and know everything, but if were are exposed to clever people, we might learn how to analyze and think things through.

OM, I actually do have the generator, the cord and fresh fuel in my garage. Additionally when my garage heater quit working yesterday, I opened it up and eyeballed it, then went on You Tube to find an example of someone demonstrating the troubleshooting of a similar machine.

I suppose what I am getting at is that there will always be someone with a different slant on any given challenge. I feel kinda sorry for the people, man or woman, who never get a chance to spend some time around clever, capable tradesmen. That is why there is value in forums like these and the You Tube demo videos. No single one of us will live long enough to learn and know everything, but if were are exposed to clever people, we might learn how to analyze and think things through.

Learning to use YouTube to its/ones advantage is all part of getting through a task.
BTW, looking for a thermocouple now :D
OM

Joined the YouTube how to a few years back...Helen "discovered" it a few weeks ago and was amazed on how many ways to skin a cat were presented. NO cats were actually skinned:brow

Seems the figure it out on your own mindset/generation is waning. Having a dad that taught us the skills to attempt/succeed on most tasks...priceless:thumb

Back