• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS-911 won't play nice at times

beemermyke

I have the standard Wifi version GS-911, and I'm a rookie user at best. I have used it on my R1200GSA to reset the service reminder, two different R1150RS bikes, and most recently a K1200RS over the weekend (on these last three bikes, we wanted to ensure there were no "mystery" codes following brake bleeds, which have the servo assist braking system) I Wifi the unit to a Samsung Galaxy tablet, and it works great at my house. The problem I'm having is that I had gone to two separate houses where the other bikes were being worked on, and I could not get it to cooperate at those locations. At one house, we downloaded the app on my friend's laptop, then direct connected the GS-911 with the supplied USB adapter to resolve the problem. At the other house this past weekend, I tried connecting to that friend's Wifi with my Galaxy tablet, tried downloading the app to his iPad and my iPhone (which was Wifi'd to his house just in case it needed to be), and we still had no luck with it. I then advised him to come by my house with his bike so we could check it there when he gets done with his 24k service.

I'm truly a simpleton when it comes to these types of Wifi gadgets. Can someone explain why it's not playing nice when I'm away from home? I'd sure like to be able to use it on the road somewhere if needed!

I am not that familiar with the WiFi GS-911, but I wonder if you connected the GS-911 to your friends WiFi network first before trying to connect it to your phone or tablet? I think the WiFi becomes the hub. If you did, I missed it in your post, sorry.

No, I did not do that. However, when I do my 18k service reset in the next weekend or so, I thought about disabling the Wifi at my house. After posting this, I found a few YouTube videos and one talked about connecting the GS-911 via Wifi directly to your tablet (or whatever you happen to use) using the "D2D" (device-to-device) method. They said you could do that if a Wifi signal was not readily available. I'll have to watch that again and see how it's done. I think that is probably the same setup that is used with most drones. I fly a DGI, and it is Wifi enabled to my controller. I certainly don't have to be within range of my Wifi signal at the house to fly it, so I think the D2D applies to that as well.

That makes sense, because you are supposed to be able to use it in emergency on the side of the road.
Let me know what you find out, as I will be facing the same stuff when I get around to do my 12K service in a few weeks.

No, I did not do that. However, when I do my 18k service reset in the next weekend or so, I thought about disabling the Wifi at my house. After posting this, I found a few YouTube videos and one talked about connecting the GS-911 via Wifi directly to your tablet (or whatever you happen to use) using the "D2D" (device-to-device) method. They said you could do that if a Wifi signal was not readily available. I'll have to watch that again and see how it's done. I think that is probably the same setup that is used with most drones. I fly a DGI, and it is Wifi enabled to my controller. I certainly don't have to be within range of my Wifi signal at the house to fly it, so I think the D2D applies to that as well.

The D2D mode only allows you to perform emergency functions. Those functions are part of the GS-911 firmware and don't require use of the Windows GS-911 program or access to the internet via computer, tablet or smartphone. Resetting the service reminder is a service function and cannot be performed in the D2D mode.

I can't make mine play nice, either. If there was another option, I'd sell that GS911...
The only way mine works well, is if I plug it into my mac running parallels. I can't get it to work otherwise.

Karl, thanks for that response. I reset my service reminder last night for my 18k service, and it works fine at the house. Another question (for anybody) I had always assumed that when you plug in the GS-911 to the bike, when you're doing any kind of reset or reading codes that you have to power up the bike. Is that the case? I noticed last night that the lights were lit up on the unit, but I did not try doing a service reminder reset without powering up the bike.

The D2D mode only allows you to perform emergency functions. Those functions are part of the GS-911 firmware and don't require use of the Windows GS-911 program or access to the internet via computer, tablet or smartphone. Resetting the service reminder is a service function and cannot be performed in the D2D mode.

^ What he said ^

At one point you'll have to connect it to a PC and register the VIN.

I've got the WiFi issue resolved (which translates to "I have a better understanding of it now!) I came across an issue this morning while trying to adjust the Throttle Position Sensor on the left throttle body, using the GS-911. I rebuilt these TBs using the kit from beemerboneyard, which is why I removed the TPS in the first place. Before removal, I took a photo of the approximate location of the attaching screws before disassembly. I set it back to that position on install. With the bike running (and not), I paged out to the "Adjust TPS" function, and this is what I am getting (sorry for the blurred image). I have no idea what that first one means, and yes, I selected the correct model. No issues with WiFi, as I had reset the service reminder on my R1200GS earlier in the week.

IMG_3712.jpg

Back