• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Grey" Ignition Coil - Failure

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
This isn't news since I've read about it shortly after buying my 1990 R100 GS new back then.

But I thought I'd post some info, numbers and photos in case there are any other airhead riders still riding with their original "grey" ignition coil, as I have for the past 25 years.

For some time now, I noticed a slight hesitation at idle and off idle into the lower RPM range. At higher cruise RPM, my GS seemed normal and even pulled well.

I suspected slightly dirty idle jets, so I inspected them; they were fine and still bright and shiny from the last time I had them out many years ago. By the way, I polish my brass jets and associated parts and have found that they stay clean for years.

The next possibility that crossed my mind was a faulty electrical connection and I remember my GS shutting down while on a ride. Roadside removal of the gas tank and moving the main (red, black and white) connectors on the bracket on the right side of the frame tube had me running again in minutes. When I got home, I used a long thin awl used for metal layout to expand the bullet shaped connectors for a better fit. That was over 20 year ago and the connectors were still tight and shiny today. That wasn't the issue.

By the way, also check that all the connectors in the ignition module connector housing are snapped into place. Shortly after taking delivery of my new GS, I also noted an ignition hesitation. It ended up being a connector pin not fully seated (not snapped in) into the housing...and sure enough, it was the kill switch wire. Solved that one as well.

Then, looking at the ignition coil, I spotted a thin line that could have been a mold flashing...or a crack. Unfortunately, the latter.

Cracked%20Ignition%20Coil-L.jpg

BMW 12-13-1-243-910 / Bosch 0 221 500 200
Original "Grey" Coil Measurements

Primary winding: 1.21 ohms (in spec for the original "grey" coil).
Secondary winding: open circuit. Later when I had the coil removed, tapping the coil gave me measurements of 8.95K ohms and open circuit.

BMW 12-13-1-244-426 / Bosch 0 221 500 203 Ignition Coil
New Coil Measurements:

Primary winding: 0.50 ohms (in spec...for the new style coil)
Secondary winding: 12.91K ohms.

Bosch%200%20221%20500%20203%20Ignition%20Coil%20-%20Right%20Side-L.jpg

I was concerned with the reduction in primary resistance between the old and new style ignition coils; roughly doubling the current that the ignition module needed to deal with.

So I ordered a new "Heavy Duty" Ignition Module Control Unit with integrated Heat Sink. I would want to see the electrical specifications for the old and new style ignition module control units before believing in any Heavy Duty claims.

Ignition%20Module%20-%20Early%20vs%20Heavy%20Duty%20Style.jpg

The "early style" ignition module control unit was bolted to a separate heat sink, hopefully with a good coat of heat sink compound between the two parts which I would renew from time to time.

Original%20Ignition%20Module%20-%202-L.jpg

The new "Heavy Duty" Ignition Module Control Unit with integrated Heat Sink requires a bracket from BMW that bolts in the same place the old style heat sink did.
Ignition%20Module%20Bracket%20-%201-S.jpg
Ignition%20Module%20Bracket%20-%202-S.jpg

The new ignition coil and ignition module control unit installed. By the way, I used heat sink compound between the bracket and integrated heat sink.
Heavy%20Duty%20Ignition%20Module%20and%20Coil%20-%201-L.jpg

Full line of photos here.

My GS runs well again. :thumb

I have a slightly dirty bike I'd like you to "take a look" at. :wave

Oh sure, notice the lack of dirt, but don't notice the strip of electrical tape wrapped around any frame member with a plastic tie-wrap around it. No chafe marks on the paint on my frames. I did all that when I bought it new.

Its a water-based degreaser, but I use it on dirt as well. Facto AT30 from Swish.
Swish%20Facto%20AT30.jpg

That was a really bad crack - I'm surprised that the bike ran as well as it did with that one!

It is always nice to solve a problem, definitively!

Back