• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Glasses and helmets

RBEmerson

Kein Nasebohrer
After bending the ends of my temples or earpieces or "the hooked things at the end of the long things", I decided to chase down Air Force issue glasses where the temples, etc. go straight back. Thinking was the glasses would go on, without as much aggro, with my Shoei GT-Air. :thumb :thumb

They're made by Randolph Engineering or American Optical. The AO frames, no sunglass lenses, are available from Walmart(!) for around $60. See the Randolph site's size chart to figure out what works for you. I found mine on eBay and the lenses were made by Lenscrafters (progressive, not so hard lens material, minimum coating) - not cheap but the package works well enough I prefer them over my more expensive pair.

Glasses work well while riding except... look straight down at something and expect them to start moving(!).

After bending the ends of my temples or earpieces or "the hooked things at the end of the long things", I decided to chase down Air Force issue glasses where the temples, etc. go straight back. Thinking was the glasses would go on, without as much aggro, with my Shoei GT-Air. :thumb :thumb

They're made by Randolph Engineering or American Optical. The AO frames, no sunglass lenses, are available from Walmart(!) for around $60. See the Randolph site's size chart to figure out what works for you. I found mine on eBay and the lenses were made by Lenscrafters (progressive, not so hard lens material, minimum coating) - not cheap but the package works well enough I prefer them over my more expensive pair.

Glasses work well while riding except... look straight down at something and expect them to start moving(!).

Huh?

Check out the earpieces. Not a lot to keep them from sliding off your nose (and head).
Aviators1.jpg

Otherwise, they're fine. As I said, I often wear them instead of my "normal" pair.

Check out the earpieces. Not a lot to keep them from sliding off your nose (and head).
View attachment 61537

Otherwise, they're fine. As I said, I often wear them instead of my "normal" pair.

I have those as issue from DoD. Had lenses made as bifocals. Top half distance, bottom half is "computer range". Perfect for seeing gauges/gps.

Opticians can generally straighten the ear pieces on glasses. I've had it done a few times on glasses I already owned. In every case they placed the ear piece in a container of hot, smooth gravel to heat it to the point where it is flexible. Done at no cost when I went to my normal optician.

Part of the start of this search is what bent was in front of the "hangs over your ear" part. It's the narrowest part of the "comes back from the frames" part (I have no idea what the right terms are). Flex that enough and... oops. Rather than break a part of the glasses while on the road, I looked for something that wasn't as vulnerable.

When I need new glass frames I take my helmet with me. I've sat in the store/office with my helmet on trying different frames for ease of putting them on with the helmet and trying to sense pressure points. I'm sure folks think I'm nuts when they come in and see me with my Nolan on. Those frames look like a great idea, I'll have to keep an eye out for them next time.

Putting on a helmet while wearing eyeglasses is an art. I seem to have to relearn it at the start of every season.

First, I put on a "satin helmet headliner". http://wingstuff.com/shop/american_road_rider-apparel This is my second one of these. After 15 years, the first one was ripping. About a dollar a year is not bad.

The liner keeps my ears flat rather than folding down when I put the helmet on. If they fold, the glasses usually get twisted and ... well, it's ugly.

Putting the helmet on next means I have to watch two things.

First, I have to pull outwards on the chin straps, holding them close as possible to the helmet to widen the opening. If not wide enough, the temple pieces get pushed by the helmet liner and it gets ugly as above. Sometimes, I widen the left side ok, but not the right side and that causes a fail.

Secondly, there is a sweet angle to find when helmet goes over the head. Not straight up and down, sort of a back and down angle with the helmet angled just so ... that is the art part.

I expect my Pearly Gates entry test will be to do it right first time!

Buying the Randolph, AO or Shuron US-made product is great if you have an optometrist that is willing to cut lenses at a reasonable price. Many optometrist charge a pretty salty premium to make lenses for a new frame they haven't sold. I tried that route a few years ago and ended up buying a similar frame thru the optometrist.

Bifocals.......talk about being taken for a ride.

I've got an old pair of Ray Ban Aviators that I use just for riding. They have strong temples (arms) and shallow angle, stiff temple tips that can be pushed back into the space between the side of my face and the helmet.

I've found an optician that can get lenses for them, and I order them with a bit of tint.

The flip helmets made putting glasses on a lot easier.

Good lenses are never cheap. OTOH, Lenscrafters did a quick "do we have the right blank" (they did) and churned out progressive, base grade lens material, base grade coating in an hour. Works for me. YMMV

I have prescription Ray Bans, which I like for sailing (less glare, off the water, coming in under the lenses). Unfortunately, a) they're sunglasses (tough in a tunnel), and b) they're polarized (not fun looking through plastic anything). Finding blanks can be a challenge, although Ray Ban Aviators seem to have come back.

I took an alternative approach to helmets and glasses. I bought a modular helmet (Schuberth). On a long trip glass and a full face helmet are not that much of a problem, but for short trips, it's a real pain to have to remove your glasses (and find a safe place to put them) every time you remove your helmet.

Good lenses are never cheap. OTOH, Lenscrafters did a quick "do we have the right blank" (they did) and churned out progressive, base grade lens material, base grade coating in an hour. Works for me. YMMV

I have prescription Ray Bans, which I like for sailing (less glare, off the water, coming in under the lenses). Unfortunately, a) they're sunglasses (tough in a tunnel), and b) they're polarized (not fun looking through plastic anything). Finding blanks can be a challenge, although Ray Ban Aviators seem to have come back.

I'm a fan of clip-ons. Custom made clips can be had for ~$80, while the more universal ones are $10~15 in polarized or non-polarized.

I wear contact lenses.
So I don't have that problem anymore.
With contacts, there is a wide variety of sunglasses with straight ear pieces available.
I use Oakly Wind Jackets.

CYW0612_EVA_oakley_Oak_Wind-Jacket_BLK.jpg

Back