• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

FInal Drive temp K1300gt 2009

roamingbeemer

roamingbeemer
Hi all.

Today I changed the FD oil and while at it I dropped the FD to get a look at the u joints and to put somevmoly lube on the splines. I have done this to my 1200 GSA 2 times already with no issues. I have a service book for the 1200 cam head.

No service book for the K1300 but looks almost the same. However, drive would not disengage from splines so I lubed splines best I could and u joints looked okay so I just sprayed some anti corrosion inside. The FD would not pull out of the drive shaft so I did not force it.

Put back together carefully with torque wrench etc. and I put 180'cc into FD.

Question, how Hot does the FD casting get after a 5 or 10 miles ride? Brake caliper was relatively cool but my FD was too hot to touch for more than 15 seconds. I tried a long easy ride with no stops but it was the same.

I know my 2011 R1200 does not get that hot normally.

Just wondering if something is wrong or if I am being OCD?

Thanks to the experts here,

Just read the DIY section for K bikes. I see I should have pushed the drive shaft off with a screwdriver. I did not force it off but I guess I need to do again.

But I am still wondering if these FD s get that hot normally.

I just re did the job so I can use the screw driver to pry the shaft off.

I drained 185 cc from the drain so the correct amount was added. I am using bmw final drive oil.

Will test ride again tomorrow and will check again.

Thanks for the info, it seemed too hot to me.

Test ride

Thanks guys,

As I stated above I re did the job but now was able to separate the FD from the shaft after reading the DIY thread on spline lubing the K1300. A little leverage worked.,

I reinstalled the same FD oil (BMW FD oil) and test rode the bike this morning.

All appears normal with a slightly warm FD after riding the same route as yesterday. The only difference is the temperature this morning is in the 60s F. I do not know why the FD was so hot yesterday.

Thanks,

Brake drag? Got your caliper pins lubed?

I've gotten the FD on both K and R bikes "very warm". A little too hot for full hand for sustained period but OK for brief touches- that's not out of the realm of normal Remember that tiny 6 oz of pretty viscous stuff gets a heck of a lot of gear churning friction which means heat is being generated.
And the FD is not finned for heat loss.

If you told me it felt ambient temp I'd suggest adding something to your speed lest you get run over.

Brake drag? Got your caliper pins lubed?

I've gotten the FD on both K and R bikes "very warm". A little too hot for full hand for sustained period but OK for brief touches- that's not out of the realm of normal Remember that tiny 6 oz of pretty viscous stuff gets a heck of a lot of gear churning friction which means heat is being generated.
And the FD is not finned for heat loss.

If you told me it felt ambient temp I'd suggest adding something to your speed lest you get run over.

HAHA, good to hear that your FDs have gotten very warm too. The caliper pins have been cleaned and lubed very recently and is releasing properly. I had rear brake drag on my R1200 two years ago and I have been aware of that issue since then.

thanks,

Back