• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Federal Highway Administration loses sense of humor

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Some think the sense of humor was lost in deep snow in Donner Pass, some say it was in a dilapidated Gulf station along the "Mother Road".

Instead of going looking for their Lost Sense of Humor, They have come up with a different idea-

The Federal Highway Administration recently released an updated 1,100-page manual that spells out how signs and other traffic control devices are regulated. In it, the agency strongly recommends against overhead electronic signs with obscure meanings, references to pop culture or those intended to be funny.16 hours ago.

In any case, if you happen to find the original Sense of Humor manual, it may help all of us if you contact the FHA and let them get back to the real important stuff. :hungover :scratch :laugh
OM

While I will miss the humorous signs I can understand them being halted due to the possibility of distraction, especially the ones with scrolling text. Humour is always a thing drawn from cultural reference or familiarity, and if one doesn’t immediately “get” the sign then focusing on trying to unwind that could detract from attention to the road and thinking about driving. For me, the sign displayed on the opening screen of the clip is a prime example—forgive my cultural ignorance, but what is a “buchle girl”?? That leaves me puzzling as I drive down the road…

Those of us who lean toward European vehicles should understand this—after all, how long did it take for cup holders to appear in European cars? You‘re supposed to be driving, not fiddling with a cup! :)

Best,
DeVern

One less thing to pull the eyes of drivers from their phones onto the surroundings! :banghead

I wonder about the LED changing billboards that have become so popular?
Seems a fair amount more distracting.
OM

Just in, the original report and new manual was only 700 pages. Just before turning the report in, the Team charged with writing the report happen to watch Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School"....and didn't want to take any chances.

:uhoh

:bolt

OM

Someone probably got a promotion for overseeing the creation of that manual. The way to get ahead in a bureaucracy is to increase the size, budget or authority of the bureaucracy.

--forgive my cultural ignorance, but what is a “buchle girl”?? That leaves me puzzling as I drive down the road…

Buckle girl is a play on words to the song Barbie Girl, which got a lot of air play in the 90's. I'm not a fan of the song myself (that's my PC correct statement, and I'll do you a favor by not posting a link to the song). There's a line in the song that says "I'm a Barbie girl in a Barbie world." So, they wrote "Be a Buckle girl in a Buckle world."

Last edited:
Buckle girl is a play on words to the song Barbie Girl, which got a lot of air play in the 90's. I'm not a fan of the song myself (that's my PC correct statement, and I'll do you a favor by not posting a link to the son). There's a line in the song that says "I'm a Barbie girl in a Barbie world." So, they wrote "Be a Buckle girl in a Buckle world."
See, even tho I’ve seen the Barbie movie it would have taken me several distracted miles to figure that out. Falls flat for me. I guess that’s what I get for not paying attention to pop culture nor pondering same as I go about my daily business.
:)

Best,
DeVern

The State of Minnesota got the memo and declared that their humorous signs were designed specifically to improve safety and they intend to keep using them for that purpose. We shall see how that turns out over time, I am sure.

The State of Minnesota got the memo and declared that their humorous signs were designed specifically to improve safety and they intend to keep using them for that purpose. We shall see how that turns out over time, I am sure.
When the next survey shows that drivers are ignoring the bland signs, Minnesota will look prescient. :)

Best,
DeVern

A lot of drivers really need something to humor up their day a bit (especially while stuck in traffic), but it should be kept to something that won't pull their mind from what should be the Primary Task.
The LED billboards really piss me off - incredibly bright, flashing and changing, and they just about force a driver to take his eyes off the road. Around here, some of them seem to have slightly reduced brilliance at night, but it's still too much. Grrr.

Around here they will still use these signs when it suits them. In the fall, they use these signs to advertise for snowplow drivers……with a phone number!
let’s see, scramble for a pen and paper…..get the phone out for a quick snap…..maybe quick, slam on the brakes to catch the scroll next time by?
OM

My wife and I always laugh at those signs, but not at the (attempted) humor of the messages, rather at how ridiculous it is for the highway department to put big distracting signs along the highways and expect it to improve safety. Our typical discussion when we see one is "Okay, how many seconds were you distracted from your driving while trying to figure out what message that sign was trying to convey to you?"

Back