• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800 GSA new owner questions/ScottOiler system

danielian

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member to this community, a new rider and now new owner of a 2017 F800GSA.

The bike came with a Scottoiler system. I know nothing about this system but just enough to know that I needed to add oil to the reservoir shortly after purchasing the bike. I finally got a bottle of Scott Oil in the mail and attempted to get access to the oiler system only to discover that apparently it requires a specific tube that attaches to the oil bottle and the other end to the oiler...sigh. (of course it didn't come with the bottle...) In the process of trying to access the reservoir I apparently disconnected a vacuum connection from the oiler to the bike itself. Well after 2 hours of searching I can't
find the connection. I sense that I need to remove the cowl etc to get at this little plug in? Help!!! In the interim, am I doing damage to the motorcycle by riding it with this small vacuum disconnect?

The bike came with a crash cage around the engine and I'm thinking that before I can remove any of the panels I need to take off these bars? What have I got myself into? Any advice support would be welcomed and I'd be ever so grateful.

daniel

Welcome to the forum!
I think you could look at one of the parts lookup diagrams and figure where something may have been pulled off of.
The oiler may have a PDF manual on the Scott website as well.
As to a problem riding with a vacuum leak, it will most likely effect idle first. It depends where in line the vacuum is whether there is a risk of getting something important dirty if something is sucked in.
Good luck.
Gary

Thanks for your responses. The oiler is indeed vacuum operated. My issue and question is regarding access to the the vacuum hoses so I can reconnect the vacuum hose from the oiler itself. From what I’ve learned it’s tapped into a throttle vacuum hose and I can’t get at it. I started to remove some of the panels but I sense I have to go in deeper as I still can’t see anything! I think I need a mechanic familiar with these to show me the process.
Thanks for the insight about the open vacuum as it affects the performance of the bike. It’s and incredibly smaill port I think and given its location I sense not too much debris will get in with some limited rides until I can get it serviced. It’s hard to believe a little attachment like this can wreak so much havoc!!

Hmmm... while you are dissembling, it might be worth considering whether the "added value" of the oiler is worth retaining it given the improved longevity of today's sealed chains v. the old tech from the 70's.

My take*: the oil won't penetrate the seals (that's good, since they keep the grease inside the rollers where it belongs), so the oil is mostly going to promote dirt and grit adherence to the outside of the chain (increasing wear, but may reduce surface rust). You're probably better off removing the system while you're in there and adopting the practice of cleaning the chain when you clean the bike and using a dry lube, if anything. Revzilla and others have inexpensive options.
:beer

* I haven't owned a chain-driven motorcycle in 20+ years ('74 Triumph), so best to do some research yourself on this topic.

Hmmm... while you are dissembling, it might be worth considering whether the "added value" of the oiler is worth retaining it given the improved longevity of today's sealed chains v. the old tech from the 70's.

My take*: the oil won't penetrate the seals (that's good, since they keep the grease inside the rollers where it belongs), so the oil is mostly going to promote dirt and grit adherence to the outside of the chain (increasing wear, but may reduce surface rust). You're probably better off removing the system while you're in there and adopting the practice of cleaning the chain when you clean the bike and using a dry lube, if anything. Revzilla and others have inexpensive options.

+1 on the above.

* I haven't owned a chain-driven motorcycle in 20+ years ('74 Triumph), so best to do some research yourself on this topic.

Another +1 on this thought.

Got 30 k mile out of last chain on my F800GS. The seals on 3 links failed, that is where the ware occurred ....

On my 13 F700 I routinely averaged well over 20000 Miles per chain simply by cleaning and oiling every 1000 miles. I'd use a Honda chain cleaner, wipe off and then a Honda chain lube. Never seen tge need fir the Scott oiler, although I looked at them a couple times. I put 62000 miles on her before trading it in on something different. Very dependable. Highest mileage was 28000 on the second chain.

Back