• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Downloading Music

leonscott

I need some advice on updating my music. I have lots of MP3 files that frankly are crap for quality. I want to update my library with a smaller collection of better quality music. I understand I need to look for FLAC files. Where do I find safe, legal (ish) music files that are NOT ITunes or anything to do with Apple that I can store on my Windows laptop, transfer to my Samsung A5 Android phone and most of all play on my 2013 R1200RT.

I don't mind paying for good music but I want quality sound. I have industrial hearing damage and I understand the better quality music would be better.

I have been following the music forum and would like to broaden my music. Can you trade files now? In the 70's we would record each others LP's while enjoying life. Can this be done on the WWW without getting arrested? Is there music clubs or even, shall I say it?!! Personal interaction?

PM me if your methods are shady. I can handle it! I'm that old.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Cheers!

Well,

I think your best bet may be to check out your local library. Many have CD's that you can check out. From there you can certainly rip the CD's easy enough, but I suppose that is in a bit of a "grey" area for music. Another completely legal source worth checking out is Archive.org. They have an excellent selection of live concerts to download.
https://archive.org/details/etree

Now for file quality, I don't think you really need to look at FLAC if you are going to bounce them down to mp3 in the end for your device. A good mp3 recording should more than suffice.

Also check to see if your library has access to Hoopla. It is an online app for audiobooks, and more importantly albums. You can check albums out for a week which is nice to listen to on your phone for your weeklong trip or whatever.

I agree that MP3 should be good enough for what you have outlined and will save you lots of storage space. You can control the audio quality of MP3 through the encoding settings. I use 320kbps sampling as an example. Article here.

Music artists deserve to get paid and one way that they get paid is royalties through music sales. Please support them.
One way you can get music at a reasonable price is to purchase a digital only copy through someone like Amazon.com.

I stream music with Google Play Music, it's good enough for listening in a car (even if audiophiles would sneer at the 320 CBR) and will be more than enough no matter which BT system goes in my helmet.

Rather than stealing music, see which streaming service fits your requirements and budget and enjoy constantly discovering new music, that's the best part about streaming.

Also don't for get if you have Amazon Prime you already have an audio streaming service.

Most should cache and allow offline playing by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back