• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Colorado route question - Peak to Peak Hwy and Pike National Forest

alzyck

Hello All,

I'm planning a mid-June ride in Colorado on my RT. If you have a moment and are familiar with the area, I have three questions about the route, the road conditions and how long it will take to ride it.

My riding style:

This will be a solo ride on a weekday. I typically start riding around 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. Since I haven't ridden this route before and I'll be on unknown mountain roads, I'll be riding the speed limit. From a pace standpoint, I usually ride for 1-1/2 hours, take a 15 minute break, repeat. I try to take an hour break at lunch.

My planned route:

I'm going to start on the far West side of Loveland (at the new La Quinta), head up Hwy 34 to Estes, take the Peak to Peak Hwy (Hwys 7/72/119) through Nederland to I-70. I'll head East on I-70, catch I-470 South to Hwy 285. Hwy 285 West to Hwy126/Deckers Road/Hwy 7 South through Pike National Forest to Woodland Park and then Hwy 24 into Colorado Springs. My plan is to spend the night in the Springs.

My Questions:

1) It looks like that route is all paved. Is that correct? Anyone know the road conditions over that route?

2) When I plot it out on Google Maps, it looks like 250 miles. Any estimates on how long it will take.

3) If you're familiar with the area, would you pick a different route?

Any help would be appreciated.

Al

Good route

All paved. The Peak to Peak is a really nice ride and very pretty.

I'd consider not going east on I 70 all the way to C470 but:

1. Go west to Frisco, then over Highway 9 through Breckenridge and over Hoosier pass down through South Park to Highway 24 then to Colorado Springs. Would add some time and miles but is a very nice route.

2. Or east on I 70 to the Evergreen Exit then to US285, that would avoid Denver and the C470. US 285 from Denver to Evergreen is a nice route but with a fair amount of traffic.

If you do decide to do I70 to C470 watch out for the area east of Evergreen. The limit drops to 55 and there are often radar traps set up.

Loveland to Estes Park is very twisty and carries a fair amount of traffic. 55 is a very reasonable upper speed in that area.

Your original route is around 4 to 5 hours with no stops. Probably closer to 5 if you figure 45 to 55 MPH on much of the Loveland to Estes and C470 to Evergreen parts of the ride.

Weekday is a very good plan.

Enjoy the ride.!!!!

Road conditions

Forgot. Specifically I 70 east from the Central City intersection is pretty rough, lots of freeze damage particularly in the right lane. Fairly deep cracks in the pavement running in the direction of travel. Easy to see and avoid.

285 is concrete and asphalt and in pretty good repair. US 24 was in excellent repair last time I was on it.

All paved.

Enjoy the ride.!!!!

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll try Option #2.

Last year I rode across US 24 from Buena Vista/Johnson Village to Colorado Springs on my way back from a trip to Arizona. It was early June. Holy smoke!! The water on the edges of the small ponds was still frozen, it snowed lightly and the wind in that huge "bowl" that I think is Southern Park County (South Park??) was relentless (40+ MPH). It was quite a ride.

Your option #2 let's me try a "new to me" route. It looks like CO Hwy 73/74 goes from I-70 down to US 285. Much better than Denver traffic.

Thanks again for the info.

Al

Instead of going through Sedalia might try taking 287 South (actually West but still called Southbound) To Turkey Creek(Tiny Town)road exit. Follow this for about 10 miles back to 287. (nice side road) Take 287 South to Conifer and take Foxton Rd. (2nd Conifer exit, Foxton might have different name on North side in Jefferson county) Go south to Platte River Road, turn either direction and follow to Deckers (left will meet hiway 67 West of Sedalia, right will go by the Little Chapel in the Hills through Buffalo Creek then take hiway 126) Both have a few miles that are unpaved but well maintained. (so does hiway 67 between Sedalia and Platte River) You could also take 287 South to hiway 126 and take it to Deckers and be on pavement entire way.

My Two Cents Here

When you get to Drake on W-34 west of Loveland keep a lookout for a slightly right up the Glen Haven road. This is the North fork of the Thompson, and is a very enjoyable road, with far less traffic, but ends you up in the same spot in Estes Park.

Stay away from Denver and 470 (Sorry Denver, but its true!), instead follow Glen's advice and consider West on I-70 to the Breckenridge turn off as an ideal route. The springs has some great tourist attractions, and Garden of the Gods makes a nice after dinner ride to take in the awesome red rock faces and the daring young men and women who climb them!

But Colorado Springs drops you out of the mountains and onto the plains and foothills, which is not really my idea of taking in the best of Colorado. Personally, the I-70 route to the Leadville turnoff and South to Twin Lakes makes a great destination. Check out the B& B in Twin Lakes (Google it for details) is a great spot to stay, then you can decide to go south out of Twin Lakes to Buena Vista (all the Collegian peaks to the west) or go over independence pass to Aspen, then to Glenwood Springs and a long shot over elevated portions of I-70 with the big and mighty Colorado river thousands of feet directly below you, and back to the front range. Take the OTHER peak to peak towards Black Hawk and Central City, then retrace the peak to peak to Estes Park and down the Thompson Canyon to your La Quinta again!

Whew!

I think I just about had a mental orgasm!

Last edited:
Be sure to take the Drake turn-off to Glen Haven to get to Estes, it's a much finer path than the more western section of US3x When you get to the end (T intersection), take a left. That will drop you back into town, (wave at the Stanley Hotel as you drive by, it was the inspiration for the Overlook Hotel of The Shining fame, then look for 36W, and bear right onto 7.

Back