• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cold Starting Problem CURED!

k1200travelor

I have a 2018 GTL with aprox 5,700 miles. Last fall I noticed that it was a bit hard to start when the weather got cooler. I mentioned it to my dealer, but nothing came of it. The computer checkout indicated a faulty throttle body assembly which was replaced, but didn't seem to really solve the problem. I decided to live with it until spring.
Then this winter I started it several times in the garage when the temps were in the 35 - 40 degree range. Very difficult to start, one time it took 5 tries. Sounded very much like it needed a choke ( I know it's electronic) because it just didn't want to keep running. Two - three weeks ago with the temp about 42 I took it for a ride. Again hard start, 3 tries, and then running rough for the first 1/2 mile. I documented all the hard starts with sound recordings on my phone.

Took it to the dealer last week and got good news. There is a notification for this problem. it is titled "Software update for SMSX and K48 instrument cluster US 47659129-02 - 5/24/16".

Complaint:
1. Engine fails to start, even though the starter turns.
2. Engine runs poorly or has reduced power.

Cause
The manufacturing tolerances for individual electronic modules in the control unit lead to signal levels outside of the expected range and cause poor engine running in the emergency program or a failure of the engine to start, even though the starter is turning.

Apparently their QC isn't what it should be on these electronic modules - so instead of replacing the out spec modules they rewrote the software to accommodate the wider tolerances. I guess that's one way of addressing the problem. Dealer did the software update (and the 6,000 service) and it worked. No more hard starts - fired right up today at 33 degrees and actually seems to be smoother running. We'll see as the riding season gets underway.

Or the QC on the modules is just fine and the software writer, assumed to tight a tolerance. Either way, glad to hear your back up and running. Those big K bikes are just something, wish I could pull the trigger on one.

I have a 2018 GTL with aprox 5,700 miles. Last fall I noticed that it was a bit hard to start when the weather got cooler. I mentioned it to my dealer, but nothing came of it. The computer checkout indicated a faulty throttle body assembly which was replaced, but didn't seem to really solve the problem. I decided to live with it until spring.
Then this winter I started it several times in the garage when the temps were in the 35 - 40 degree range. Very difficult to start, one time it took 5 tries. Sounded very much like it needed a choke ( I know it's electronic) because it just didn't want to keep running. Two - three weeks ago with the temp about 42 I took it for a ride. Again hard start, 3 tries, and then running rough for the first 1/2 mile. I documented all the hard starts with sound recordings on my phone.

Took it to the dealer last week and got good news. There is a notification for this problem. it is titled "Software update for SMSX and K48 instrument cluster US 47659129-02 - 5/24/16".

It turns out this update also fixes the fuel level gauge reading where it wouldn't show the completely full icon.

Back