• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cleaning your bike on a long trip.

You guys bring up many good ideas for "normal" touring. What about extreeme dirt?
We came off the Dempster Hwy after riding to Inuvik just a few days ago and were faced with this:
902805005_FTwzh-S.jpg

I don't know what besides pressure washing to get that gunk off.
902871548_ytUVK-S.jpg

:scratch

Ian:

I'd heard great things about this stuff, so I drove about 20 km to the Honda dealer and bought a can, with the idea of trying it out as a bug remover, and cleaner / polisher.

I was disappointed. It doesn't get the bugs off, and leaves a film that's hard to buff out.

Or I'm doing something wrong. :scratch It might have been that I was working in bright sunlight. :hide

Yup. You're doing a couple of things wrong. First, it's better in the shade. Pretty much anything is, especially an aerosol. It isn't great on real heavy dirt or giant bug gutz, but that's why God invented water. Rinse the nastiest stuff off first. Finally, it requires a clean second rag to wipe off the film left behind. That's when the shine happens. :thumb

Yup. You're doing a couple of things wrong. First, it's better in the shade. Pretty much anything is, especially an aerosol. It isn't great on real heavy dirt or giant bug gutz, but that's why God invented water. Rinse the nastiest stuff off first. Finally, it requires a clean second rag to wipe off the film left behind. That's when the shine happens. :thumb

shade + clean wiping rag... definitely. turn the rag often.

it is also worthwhile to let the spray sit on the surface a while before wiping it up... like 3-5 minutes.

that lets it loosen the grime and bug guts a bit.

i don't think this stuff is available under the honda brand anymore, but almost any MC accessory shop will know what you're talking about when you say "honda spray polish"

I remember a few years ago when they were discontinuing it. I bought some unrelated item at a Honda dealer and they gave me two cans of the polish FREE with my purchase just so they could speed up getting rid of the stuff. The one can I had before that came in a goody-bag I was given for attending another Honda dealer's 25th anniversary party.

At the rate I use this stuff (most of the time I forget that I even have it), those three FREE cans will probably last a lifetime.

From the land of bi-annual love bug seasons

Bugs-B-Gone is the all purpose cleaner and bug remover. This stuff will even cut brake dust. :clap
bugsbgone.jpg

I remember a few years ago when they were discontinuing it

Hah - I still have a half a case of the BMW Gel wheel cleaner from when they discontinued it - still nothing better for cleaning alloy wheels :)

+2 for the Plexus. I carry a small can with a soft rag wrapped around it with a rubber band. It cleans all the plastic and windshield, and works great on your helmet and faceshield too.

I just discovered that if you don't clean your rear wheel for 7 years and 140,000 miles it doesn't get very clean looking when you do. :)

Paul,

You're supposed to clean the wheels only when you change tires!

Since you're living in the desert you are disadvantaged.

Here on the Texas Gulf Coast the humidity is so high you get a free bike wash every time you ride.

Of course, everything starts rusting as soon as you buy it too... :)

Joe

Back