• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Recalls on R, K, G, and F Bikes

exgman

Greetings - BMWNA told the NHTSA on June 15, 2010 about recalls on a number of motorcycles. The front brake issue with some K and R bikes had received prior publicity, and affects 15000 US bikes. Added to this are a "Roll Gear" problem on various G650 bikes, a tank bolt problem on various R1200GS/A bikes, and a drive chain problem on various F650GS, and F800GS bikes. See the text below from the NHTSA:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
BMW / K 1200 GT 2007-2008
BMW / R 1200 GS 2007-2009
BMW / R 1200 GS ADVENTURE 2007-2009
BMW / R 1200 R 2007-2009
BMW / R 1200 RT 2007-2009
BMW / R 1200 ST 2007
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: JUN 15, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V276000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected: 15532
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 THROUGH 2009 R 1200 AND K 1200 SERIES MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 2006 THROUGH MAY 2009. DUE TO THE CURRENT ROUTING OF THE FRONT BRAKE LINES, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT DURING RIDING, AND THEREFORE ASSOCIATED VIBRATION. THE BRAKE LINES COULD BE UNDER STRAIN. IF THE VIBRATION/STRAIN IS SIGNIFICANT, THE BRAKE LINE COULD SPLIT AND START TO DEVELOP A LEAK.
Consequence:
IF THIS GOES UNNOTICED, AND THE BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR RUNS EMPTY, THE FRONT BRAKES COULD FAIL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL INSTALL NEW BRAKE LINES, CONTAINING A "SLEEVE" ALONG A PORTION OF THE LINES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

BMW / R 1200 GS ADVENTURE 2005-2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V275000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Potential Number of Units Affected:
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2005 THROUGH 2007 R 1200 GS ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM DECEMBER 7, 2005 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 26, 2007. THE FUEL TANK FRONT ATTACHMENT BOLTS CAN WORK LOOSE ALLOWING THE BOLTS TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE FORK LEG IF THE HANDLEBAR IS TURNED A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT.
Consequence:
THIS COULD LIMIT THE TRAVEL RANGE OF THE HANDLEBARS WHICH COULD AFFECT HANDLING AND MANEUVERABILITY OF THE MOTORCYCLE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED THE AGENCY WITH A REMEDY PLAN OR A NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

BMW / G 650 X US CHALLENGE 2007
BMW / G 650 X US COUNTRY 2007-2008
BMW / G 650 X US MOTO 2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V273000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: POWER TRAIN
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 AND 2008 G 650 X COUNTRY, G 650 X CHALLENGE, AND G650 X MOTO MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 29, 2006 THROUGH MAY 19, 2008. OVER TIME, THE ROLL GEAR PIN'S MOUNTING ATTACHMENT COULD BREAK.
Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE FOR FRAGMENTS OF THE ATTACHMENT TO BECOME TRAPPED BETWEEN THE DRIVE CHAIN AND THE REAR SPROCKET. THE REAR WHEEL COULD LOCK UP, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED THE AGENCY WITH A REMEDY PLAN OR A NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.
Notes:

BMW / F 650 GS 2008-2009
BMW / F 800 GS 2008-2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V274000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: POWER TRAIN
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 AND 2009 F650 GS AND F 800 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 27, 2007 THROUGH MARCH 30, 2009. THE DRIVE CHAINS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PRODUCED TO SPECIFICATION. AS A RESULT, OVER TIME THE DRIVE CHAIN COULD BREAK.
Consequence:
IF THE BROKEN CHAIN BECOMES TRAPPED BETWEEN THE REAR WHEEL AND THE FRAME, THE REAR WHEEL COULD LOCK UP, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
Notes:

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Canadian R1200RT's are included? There was a story on the recall in the local newspaper (Edmonton Journal) the other day, but it only mentioned US bikes.

When this information first came out a few weeks ago, the statement was that there were some 122,000 bikes worldwide (K, R, RT, GS) affected. I do recall reading that some Canadian dealers had already gotten the parts, and begun performing the repairs. I also recall that some UK dealers were doing the same. I think the US NHTSA process sometimes takes a little longer. Your dealer should be able to help.:thumb

It's good that they're stepping up and fixing this stuff but it's sure costing them a lot of money. Well I guess not BMW, the cost will be spread across us, their customers, to cover this. :cry

Does anyone know if Canadian R1200RT's are included? There was a story on the recall in the local newspaper (Edmonton Journal) the other day, but it only mentioned US bikes.

The Kelowna BC BMW dealer is aware of the Service bulletin and it does appear that the Canadian bikes are included. I'm booked in for Aug 13.:D

LDcommuter;
Call Argyll Motorsports with your serial number handy and they will advise. My GT here in Canada is affected by the recall.

Rick

LDcommuter;
Call Argyll Motorsports with your serial number handy and they will advise. My GT here in Canada is affected by the recall.

Rick

Thanks - I will do that. Likely will schedule my 40k service at the same time.

I just got snail mail from BMW Motorrad Canada today informing me of the recall and that repairs would be done at their expense.

Has anyone in the US received their letter? BMW stated in their correspondence to NHTSA that owner notification should be complete in July, but I don't know anyone who has yet received their official notification.

Has anyone in the US received their letter? BMW stated in their correspondence to NHTSA that owner notification should be complete in July, but I don't know anyone who has yet received their official notification.

I have 2 recalls on the F800GS one I have been notified by mail. As I expected the other I asked the dealer to run the VIN and it showed the other(so I didn't have to go in twice) Should be fine :thumb

Parts are here:)

My USA Dealer in Modesto, CA. just did mine a few days ago and had the parts already. Two brake lines(hard lines) under the GSA1200 tank are replaced on mine. The recall lines themselves have been recalled at least once and the "type two" lines are in stock at many dealers already. It took only an hour plus to get the GSA done. Randy:thumb:usa

My USA Dealer in Modesto, CA. just did mine a few days ago and had the parts already. Two brake lines(hard lines) under the GSA1200 tank are replaced on mine. The recall lines themselves have been recalled at least once and the "type two" lines are in stock at many dealers already. It took only an hour plus to get the GSA done. Randy:thumb:usa

OK, now that some of you have had the recall work done can you tell the rest of us how it went? I'm going in to my dealer on friday and he is 150 miles away so I want to knwo what to expect so that I don't havwe to go back.
On other BMW sites there are reports that people come away with spongy brakes after the recall work was done (i.e with air left in the lines). The mechanics are following the recall instructions and this process doesn't appear to be a full/proper brake bleed front and back.

What have others here found? Did you have both the front and rear systems flushed and come away with the original firmness in your front brake lever or something less?
I'm wondering if I should ask for the proper bleed to start even if it has to come out of my pocket.

MAX BMW in NH took care of the recall on my '07 RT last month. I was there for minor crash repairs; Tom checked for any open recalls and took care of the brake service immediately.

My front brakes were definitely a bit mushy after the recall was completed. It wasn't inoperable or severely degraded, just somewhat spongier. I was back at MAX shortly after that for 18k service - I mentioned it to Tom, who made sure the mechanic knew about the recall and subsequent mushiness.

After the service was complete, brake feel is 100% back to normal.

Back