• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW R100/T Handlebar Grip Questions

nevadaslim

I'd like to replace my OEM BMW handlebar grips with something a little more comfortable and stylish, I'm not a purist.

From what I understand BMW Airhead grips are 22mm and the rest of the world is 7/8". The selection of 22mm grips seems to be very limited. Is it possible to make a 7/8" grip work on BMW bars and throttles?

I saw these grips on e-bay(see photo below). They're on a 1978 bike. Not only do they look comfortable, I think they look pretty cool. I emailed the seller, but he refused to answer my questions about his grips. So... does anyone recognize them? I'm thinking' they must be 22mm since they're on a R100.
Grips.jpg
PS: I've done a lot of google searches trying to find these grips, w/o any luck.

I think you may be able to increase the diameter of the 22mm bars by using some bicycle bars wrapping tape...I think they have something like that. A couple of wraps might take up the slack.

As far as the grips, they remind me of the gran turismo style of grips...that's pretty easy to google. But as for those exact manufacturer, I know I've seen them but can't put a name on them.

I have the BMW factory grips on mine, and I do like them as they provide several diameter (OD) choices as I am riding which helps me avoid fatigue at one diameter. However, the ones shown in the pic above, look great, and I, too, would like to find out what they are.

I may purchase a set to try them out.

I think you may be able to increase the diameter of the 22mm bars by using some bicycle bars wrapping tape...I think they have something like that. A couple of wraps might take up the slack.

As far as the grips, they remind me of the gran turismo style of grips...that's pretty easy to google. But as for those exact manufacturer, I know I've seen them but can't put a name on them.

I'm familiar with the Gran Turismo grips, had them on my 1971 Triumph back in '72'. They were great at the time having either air or gel cells to soak-up the vibrations, can't remember. Here's a photo(below) of a pair I found on the internet.

Grips+2.jpg

While similar, style-wise these are a little 'dated' compared to the ones on the e-bay bike above. That's why I'd love to
find-out who makes those cool sporty grips. Surely someone recognizes them.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the Gran Turismo grips, had them on my 1971 Triumph back in '72'. They were great at the time having either air or gel cells to soak-up the vibrations, can't remember. Here's a photo(below) of a pair I found on the internet.

View attachment 46455

While similar, style-wise these are a little 'dated' compared to the ones on the e-bay bike above. That's why I'd love to
find-out who makes those cool sporty grips. Surely someone recognizes them.

I had these grips (pictured) at an earlier time - around 30 years ago, and I would not recommend them. They will get finger "imprints" as that is where the fingers squeeze the most. These are not the same as original post's pictured.

I would like to find those grips that were pictured on the bike in the comment that started this thread though.

Over the forty years I've owned my /5 I can't remember how many different grips I've gone through (Gran Turismo included), Magura, Tommiselli, Ritchey; straight and "ergo".

eBay lists over 9,000 items under the heading of motorcycle hand grips. I stopped at fifteen pages (192 items/page). From what I can tell they are design de jour, in for a season and then a new design. So it looks like you are going to have to narrow it down by broadening your search
headscratch.gif
, that is to say look for a barrel/bulged shape in general, not a specific brand. 22mm isn't going to be easy to find in much more than a "standard" shaped grip, i.e. Magura, etc. If you search using "ergonomic" you're going to find all the weird stuff*; they're comfortable, for a while, but not too practical for the throttle side.

From our friends in Milwaukee
$T2eC16hHJFsFFSDd-BSNBS(VmDVYi!~~60_1.JPG

http://www.corsaspeedshop.com/Grey-Brit-Style-Handlebar-Grip
DSCF0823.JPG

http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc026.htm
bcc026x300a.jpg

A'ME (heated)
ame-chicane-heated-grips.jpg

Biltwell
thumb_3034_gt-grips-motorcycle-black-lowbrow-customs_1.jpg

* weird stuff (IMO)
sku_187599_3.jpg

Over the forty years I've owned my /5 I can't remember how many different grips I've gone through (Gran Turismo included), Magura, Tommiselli, Ritchey; straight and "ergo".

eBay lists over 9,000 items under the heading of motorcycle hand grips. I stopped at fifteen pages (192 items/page). From what I can tell they are design de jour, in for a season and then a new design. So it looks like you are going to have to narrow it down by broadening your search
headscratch.gif
, that is to say look for a barrel/bulged shape in general, not a specific brand. 22mm isn't going to be easy to find in much more than a "standard" shaped grip, i.e. Magura, etc. If you search using "ergonomic" you're going to find all the weird stuff*; they're comfortable, for a while, but not too practical for the throttle side.

I kind of liked the 1st & 2nd sets shown in pics. But I like the set shown in the first posting best. I'm hoping someone will recognize and let us all know what they are!

headscratch.gif

Thanks for the reply IMO. I agree there's a lot of grips out there and a lot of crap. I've spent hours going through pages of grips on e-bay while watching TV. The closest I got was using the term "touring grips" in my searches, but still nothing.

Back