• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bleeder Valve issue. Bled brakes and now seems to seep out minor fluid

Zwniana

Hi all

Bled the brakes last month and performed the GS911 abs pump. Everything was torqued down to speck, valves cleaned, bleeder valves dried and all good. Took bike out 10 days ago noticed there was some fluid on bleeder cap rubber lower part so I torqued the screw a tad more, washed and dried that area well and only put the caps in not the plastic ring that holds the cap in the event of it coming off. After it was dry I put the circle part of the cap below the screw again. All good.

When I took the bike out for a ride today I noticed that there seems to be again some fluid that seeps or stays below the rubber cap. Is it brake fluid or condensation? Any solutions? It’s happening on all three calipers IMG_6003.jpegIMG_6002.jpegIMG_6004.jpeg

It is not uncommon for fluid to seep from the threads of a bleeder valve. I use a thread sealant to stop it. There are several on the market. Be sure NOT to use a thread locker such as Loctite, and a little goes a long way.

Thank you like a permatex thread sealant?

Could one use pipe thread sealant used on water and gas pipes like blue monster

I use teflon tape

Also, after bleeding, wash the whole thing off with plenty of water. Sometimes the little rubber cap will collect a little brake fluid and hold it.

If Teflon tape is used in any hydraulic application, extreme caution needs to be used not to have a stray piece of the Teflon migrate into the system. The Teflon can clog small ports and create difficult to diagnose problems.

OM

SpeedBleeders sell a thread sealant. Expensive since you get so little.

I wouldn’t trust a pipe/plumbing sealant. Search for one that says it is good for hydraulic systems. Permatex is probably okay. The stuff I use is for pneumatic fittings, but works fine on bleeders. I don’t recall the name and it’s -14, windy and snowing so I’m not walking over to the shop to find out.

Thank you everyone. I guess I can unscrew just enough before oil starts to leak out and put thread sealant on the screw back on?

I too worry about teflon tape going up when I bleed brakes next time.

I use teflon tape

Also, after bleeding, wash the whole thing off with plenty of water. Sometimes the little rubber cap will collect a little brake fluid and hold it.
And follow up with a squirt of brake cleaner into the bleeder valve and inside of the cap to drive out any last vestiges of water before capping off. Don’t want that bleeder corroding.

SpeedBleeders sell a thread sealant. Expensive since you get so little.

I wouldn’t trust a pipe/plumbing sealant. Search for one that says it is good for hydraulic systems. Permatex is probably okay. The stuff I use is for pneumatic fittings, but works fine on bleeders. I don’t recall the name and it’s -14, windy and snowing so I’m not walking over to the shop to find out.

Good advice from Kevin!
Teflon tape acts primarily to lubricate the threads so they can be screwed together tight enough to seal, and while there are versions rated for use on gases (the yellow tape) I’ve yet to find any definitive word on whether or not PTFE is impervious to brake fluid.

I assemble mine dry but if there’s a weeper this works well and is recommended for brake fittings, but be sparing with it.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
If Teflon tape is used in any hydraulic application, extreme caution needs to be used not to have a stray piece of the Teflon migrate into the system. The Teflon can clog small ports and create difficult to diagnose problems.

OM
100%. :thumb

You are correct. Maybe my torque wrench is off by a little. It is weird it’s on all three.

Last edited:
I installed the speedbleeders and it all went well except for one bleeder valve. I keep getting some fluid through the threads. I followed their instructions to simply bottom it out and no need to torque. No luck. So I torqued it a bit to 12nm, but still some fluid (very minor) Is it ok to torque the stainless steel speedbleeder to BMW spec of 14nm or unscrew it a bit and apply more thread sealer.

Back